At Root, we’ve built capabilities that we find extremely valuable and now look to monetize via strategic third party relationships and apply this expertise to new markets. You will be the lead actuary for everything partnership related, including liaising with third parties to understand needs and match them to our capabilities or bringing new-to-the-world products to market.
- Represent Root's actuarial and data science teams in partner conversations and identify mutually beneficial opportunities that pair Root’s actuarial strengths to partners’ pain points.
- Lead design, execution, and implementation of actuarial requirements for each partner opportunity.
- Lead research on the pricing and design of niche insurance products.
- Provide related regulatory support to third party relationships and new product launches.
- Support the Enterprise, Business Development, and Emerging Technology departments in internal analysis of opportunity, feasibility, and business case.
- Support partnership negotiation through review and edits to agreement language related to actuarial work.
- Bring to life partnership obligations in execution, launch, and growth of new products.
- Peer review data science and actuarial work.
- Some travel required (when safe to do so)
- 7 years of P&C actuarial insurance experience, preference to personal lines pricing, consulting, or telematics related experience
- FCAS designation preferred
- Demonstrable expert knowledge in statistical analysis
- Effective communication skills in actuarial and statistics related concepts and analysis across many audiences
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and problem-solving ethos
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills
- External partner-facing experience; ability to change tailor message to audience (or confidentiality requirements)
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us