DIGITAL PROGRAM MANAGER at Cat Digital
The Cat® Digital group is the digital and technology arm of Caterpillar Inc., responsible for bringing world class capabilities to our products and services. With almost one million connected assets worldwide, we're focused on using data, technology, advanced analytics, and AI capabilities to help our customers build a better world. To accomplish this, we’re deploying analytics that generate insights, recommend optimized decisions, and improve products by intelligently integrating massive quantities of telematics information, transactional records, images, unstructured documents, and other data sources. For example, imagine leading a group of world-class data scientists applying deep learning to identify unstated customer needs, improve products, and generate leads and recommendations by developing a detailed understanding of how customers use their Cat® products. Or by using the insights gained from such efforts to design customized customer services that maximize the value of their fleet of Cat® equipment. The opportunity to make an enormous impact is truly remarkable!
The Program Manager is accountable for ensuring successful completion of projects, on-time, within budget, and error-free. The principal responsibility of the Program Manager is to manage the planning and execution of various project deliverables. The incumbent will be responsible for managing the project charter, communications, metrics, reporting, and the overall program plan (highlighting dependencies between various projects under the same program) and budget.
The Program Manager will:
- Use knowledge of cloud based Platforms and digital processes and business acumen to guide cross-functional teams in the execution of projects.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and its relevant external influences (competitors, laws and regulations, market conditions, etc.) to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Serve as the principal communicator with clients and internal stakeholders regarding project status.
- Identify and manage risks and issues
- Define program scope with program success indicators to reap benefits of the program within a defined timeframe.
- Use Agile program management methodology as relevant to the program execution. Follow latest industry execution practices and processes (e.g, DevOps, Continuous Integration – Continuous Delivery) for highest velocity and innovation.
- Prioritize program requirements working with Product Owner or other stakeholders.
- Write communication plan and stakeholder management plan for the program.
- Develop stakeholder register, analyze positive and negative stakeholders, and manage the expectation of stakeholders across the program.
- Provide regularly update to Business stakeholders and consumers of program deliverables.
- Create and manage dependencies across all active projects. Collaborate across the program to leverage diverse thoughts and ideas.
- Log and review program risks with stakeholders and take timely action to mitigate or eliminate risks.
- Evaluate team members of the program organization and look to add required resources or train resources to improve IT skills for the benefit of the digital program.
- Mentor project managers for success delivery of the program.
- Create rough order of magnitude of program budget, track actuals, and do quarterly forecast of spend throughout the life of the program.
- Radiate program status using a visual tool. Document all program related artifacts including lessons learned, on an easily accessible and shared environment.
- Be an advocate of the digital program and market it for a successful adoption.
Significant challenges of this position are working with people, enhancing the team’s creativity, facilitating the team’s cooperation, clearly communicating the requirements and tasks while gaining input from the team on refinement of same, translating both verbal and non-verbal information from the customer to management and team members. The Program Manager acts as a spokesperson for the team in meetings, with multiple levels of management, and with the customer. As Program Manager, he or she must develop strong internal networks to enable them to obtain resources and cooperation needed and remove roadblocks so they can ensure the success of their project team.
The Program Manager demonstrates advanced knowledge of marketing and digital approaches/techniques and the ability to handle typical project issues. The incumbent should be able to explain conclusions to customers who have limited knowledge and experience. They are expected to have advanced expertise leading teams in project management. The incumbent should be very strong in areas of personal planning, organization, initiatives, management. The senior level is expected to mentor lower level Digital Project Managers.
• Position requires a four year degree from an accredited college or university
• 5+ years of program management experience
Top Candidates Will Also Have
• Master’s degree in related field (Engineering or Program Management)
• Agile Training and experience managing Agile/Scaled Agile Software Development Programs
• 7+ years of direct program management experience working with software development teams in an agile environment
• Experience with Microsoft Azure DevOps, Programming, and Process Automation
• Experience in programs with complex dependency management
• Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Project
• PMP Certification and/or Release Train Engineer Certification
• Advanced human relations skills and experience working in highly collaborative environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers