The Emerging Technology, Data Partnerships, & R&D BD team is building the future of Root and defining how Root will evolve to enable the evolutions in mobility (micromobility, autonomous vehicles), create sustainable competitive advantages for our core business, and challenge known paradigms in the tech and insurance industry. We are creative. We identify problems and then we tackle them with solutions unique to Root. We are looking for kindred spirits; individuals who embrace a growth mindset and thrive in a role where they can have a big impact.
We are seeking a Director of Partner Management to work with broader Emerging Technology, Data Partnerships, and Root’s Research & Development Business Development team; to build product and partnership strategies from the ground up to address compelling opportunities in Root’s core and future businesses. We’re looking for someone with an entrepreneurial mindset who is excited to work in a rapidly changing marketplace. Someone with exceptional leadership skills, who is naturally collaborative and transparent, and who excels at influencing without direct authority. Someone with exceptional creativity who can think strategically and innovatively and can translate ideas into tactics and execution.
Reports to: VP Emerging Technology
- Work closely with the VP of Emerging Technology throughout the partnership life cycle from greenfield exploration through to deal close. Specifically, act as key relationship manager through integration, launch; optimization and expiration/termination.
- Act as the primary point of contact for external partners, both c-suite and operational teams; manage partner needs and requests daily, with an eye towards building trust and win/win, troubleshooting, identifying key needs and obligations.
- Understand and communicate market opportunities, needs, and partner feedback to the cross-functional team to inform product roadmap and prioritization.
- Work closely with product management to define partner-facing products, validate features, and scope and prioritize launch requirements based on partner and internal stakeholder feedback.
- Police obligations and covenants of the deal/partnership.
- Inform initial business case and partner negotiations with an eye to integration/launch/operationalizing a partnership. Work holistically across, BD, legal, finance, actuarial, claims, product, engineering, customer service.
- Own partner-facing integrations, protecting the core eng and PMs from the front lines of partner requests; prioritizing and surfacing partner requests that align with Root product strategy; troubleshooting issues as they arise.
Who you are
- You are humble, with a bias towards action and building value, with strong product sensibility.
- You are comfortable acting as an advocate for both external partners and internal stakeholders; you can quickly get up to speed and identify what matters/locate the opportunity for a partner, business, and product.
- You have an ethos of building long-term relationships; equally engaged and committed to building new relationships as repairing underperforming partnerships or optimizing existing ones.
- You are at home interpreting and enforcing agreements.
- You are fluent in hand-holding partners through technical integrations; communicating technical standards, troubleshooting and contextualizing issues, and finding solutions
- You have an entrepreneurial growth mindset, with proven results working in a rapidly changing, results-driven environment.
- You are naturally collaborative and transparent, and you excel at influencing without direct authority.
- You have 10+ years of experience in a partner-facing role, growing disruptive businesses in diverse industries and are skilled at developing fluency in emerging technology.
- You have exceptional creativity; think strategically and innovatively and can translate ideas into tactics and execution.
- You are detail-oriented; able to work independently, multi-task and prioritize projects.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team! You need not have a background in insurance or data, but should be skilled at developing fluency in emerging technology, evolving industries, and net new industries; you quickly get up to speed and identify what matters/locate the opportunity for a partner, business, and product.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.