Director of Program Management, Agile at Morningstar
The Group: At Morningstar, we want to help more people build long-term value through investing, leading them to independence and, eventually, giving them the financial freedom to live their lives as they choose. The keys to achieving our goal are useful, high quality software and data products.
The Role: As a director of Program Management you will drive and lead execution for scaled agile software programs. You will work with teams and scrum masters locally and globally in Shenzhen, Mumbai, Sweden, UK, and the US. You will be a catalyst partnering with large engineering efforts and business strategy to align it with long-term strategic technology and product goals.
Role & Responsibilities:
An ideal candidate has a strong background in both scaled agile, product work and process improvement and is experienced in delivering complex strategic projects across cross-functional teams using scaled agile and project management practices. Experience planning and leading complex projects across multiple teams, including the oversight of multiple project plans and key metrics, as well as the ability to work in a fast-paced technical environment is critical. The ability to communicate clearly at all levels, form strong relationships with stakeholders and proactively identify and manage risks is essential in this role. It's your servant leader qualities that will garner respect and your hands-on, transparent approach that will be influential in building and fostering self-organizing teams:
• Lead Program Management for large-scale software initiatives, including executive reviews, capacity/budget forecasting, risk/obstacle resolution, product roadmap reviews and strategies, and dashboarding/metrics
• Plan and schedule project goals, milestones, and deliverables across internal stakeholders to ensure that project tasks are completed on schedule with high quality.
• Communicate regular updates across all stakeholder groups
• Manage dependencies between multiple development teams
• Coach scrum masters, tech leads, product owners/managers/leaders to evolve the Agile practices and culture
• Coach teams to identify and solve project issues effectively. Lead efforts to manage and support conflict resolution across priorities and squads.
• Develop key performance indicators and lead monthly program review with business stakeholders to report on and facilitate conversations regarding KPI status, progress, resources, and risks.
• Establish and maintain trusted advisor relationships with product managers, technology teams, and stakeholders.
• Ensure and Support the creation and growth of high performance agile teams; influencing key leaders and advocating for an Agile/lean culture
• Evolve and serve as ambassador for the SDLC to drive execution excellence, and effective continuous process improvement
• 5-7 years program and portfolio management (minimum 3 years in Agile programs)
• Well-versed in Agile methodology
• Proven track record delivering via Agile/scrum processes; able to be the voice of reason and escalate effectively
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate, follow and deliver high-complex objectives
• Proven ability to lead a cross-functional team
• Exceptional communication skills; assertive, situational awareness and passion; ability to lead change and influence; confidence to drive alignment in order to achieve objectives
• Ability to manage differing opinions while contributing consistently and positively in a dynamic, high-paced, and often unpredictable work environment
• Desire to work in a collaborative environment
• Project/Program Management Professional certification is a plus
• Exception communication and presentation skills
• Excellent planning ability
• Ability to build relationships, influence, facilitate and resolve conflict
• Scaled Agile experience
• Use of JIRA, Confluence
Good to have
• Experience in AWS, SaaS environment
• ISO compliance experience.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.