Director, Technical Program Management - Healthcare at Walgreens
This role is responsible for defined aspects of the technical program management of the Horizon 3 (H3) program, including strategies, processes, and resources. Provides technical program management and oversight from conception and planning through implementation, launch, and post-launch support. Ensures objectives are clearly defined and aligned across the organization in accordance with program budgets and schedules.
Drives the team to achieve performance objectives for the program on schedule and within budget. Leads the team to complete the program in alignment with the product vision and requirements. Provides technical leadership and guidance to team members to achieve complex goals. Captures and tracks program risks, and works with the organization to develop mitigations for the most critical risks. Communicates program milestones, schedules, and risks to the technical team and to the broader organization.
- Formulates a comprehensive technical program management plan that aligns with the overall business objectives, budgetary considerations, and product requirements. Ensures key milestones and outcomes are turned into action plans for execution by technical teams. Responsible for a portfolio of technical projects that have broad impact on the organization.
- Leads alignment on technical program scope and works to gain alignment with teams on vision, business goals, and program structure. Supports cross-functional efforts to meet technical program needs.
- Establish project milestones, roadmaps, and schedules for technical teams using Agile and technical skills. Anticipates, captures, and manages cross-product dependencies across the program teams. Regularly communicates across teams about critical cross-product dependencies and associated coordination efforts.
- Works closely with business partners and technical teams to develop technical programs and plans and to ensure that plans are aligned with evolving business needs and product requirements.
- Establishes and tracks project plans for an overall program, including schedules, budgets, and resourcing for the technical teams. Tracks and adjusts plans, schedules, and outcomes based on evolving program scope and requirements as well as technical and program issues that arise. Supports resource redistribution and engagement of supplemental resources to address critical issues and needs.
- Establishes a risk management plan for each project. Anticipates, captures, and manages program risks, and works with the organization to develop mitigations for the most critical risks. Regularly communicates critical risks, probability of occurrence, and risk mitigations to the business unit leadership and other key stakeholders. Provides timely notification of any critical risks that manifest, and supports mitigation plans to address related issues.
- Interfaces and coordinates with program stakeholders within the business unit and business unit senior management to define program objectives, provide status updates, and prepare for release and deployment. Applies engineering and business process expertise to plan complex programs and resolve issues.
- Leads meetings with key stakeholders for the program to align on and make key decisions, remove obstacles, and address key program issues. Serves as a key technical lead to ensure that business goals and product requirements are balanced with technical feasibility and available technical resources and budget. Regularly communicates program milestones, schedules, and critical risks to the technical team and to the broader organization.
- Initiates and manages workgroup alignment meetings to address program changes, tactical issues, critical risks, technical challenges, etc.
- Creates a collaborative environment that fosters creativity, innovation, and learning.
- Implements policies and defines approach to technical program achievement. Analyzes long-term impact of new or anticipated strategies and decisions.
- Manages budgets, operational plans, and performance requirements for a specified area of responsibility. Responsible for meeting budgetary goals and objectives.
- Leads team and facilitates communication between staff, management, vendors, and other technology resources within and outside of the organization. Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Interacts with direct reports and peers in management, customer organizations, and vendors to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day through dispensing and distributing medicines, its convenient retail locations, digital platforms and health and beauty products. The Company has more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in community pharmacy and pharmaceutical wholesaling.
WBA is the largest retail pharmacy, health and daily living destination across the U.S. and Europe. WBA is one of the world’s largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and wellbeing products. The Company’s size, scale, and expertise will help position us to expand the supply of, and address the rising cost of, prescription drugs in the U.S. and worldwide.
Including through its equity method investments, WBA:
is present in more than 25* countries
employs more than 440,000* people
has more than 18,750* stores in 11* countries
has one of the largest global pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution networks, with more than 400* distribution centers delivering to more than 240,000** pharmacies, doctors, health centers and hospitals each year in more than 20* countries.The Company’s portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
WBA’s purpose is to help people across the world lead healthier and happier lives. The Company is proud to be a force for good through its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. Our businesses have been recognized for their Corporate Social Responsibility. Walgreens was named to FORTUNE*** magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list and Boots UK was recognized as Responsible Business of the Year 2019-2020 by Business in the Community.
The Company is included in FORTUNE's 2019 list of the World’s Most Admired Companies and ranked first in the food and drugstore category. This is the 26th consecutive year that WBA or its predecessor company, Walgreen Co., has been named to the list.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or physics and at least 6 years of experience in technical program management and/or engineering management.
- Knowledge of technical subjects and technologies relevant to the program, including methods and tools for capture and management of product requirements and functional specifications; methods and tools for software project planning and development; methods and tools for project risk management; and methods and tools for software and system testing and validation.
- Experience managing competing priorities across complex programs.
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle and experience adjusting and applying this knowledge in a dynamic environment using agile methodologies.
- Experience building credibility and rapport with senior executives and technical and non-technical teams.
- At least 2 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
- At least 3 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel at least 25% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state)
- Master’s degree or doctorate degree in engineering or applied physics, including a significant independent research project
- Experience with program management of complex programs
- Experience in developing software as an individual contributor and in managing software development projects
- Experience with program risk management
- Experience with medical device software development and associated documentation for regulatory submissions
- At least 4 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
- At least 5 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.