The Group: The Morningstar Fixed Income team provides expertise in bonds and derivatives - the data, the analytics, the use cases for target clients. It defines the fixed income capability roadmap, works with Data Operations and Data Technology organizations in sourcing and integrating value-added data, and coordinates across product squads to build new and enhance fixed income functionality. Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets and portfolios. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: Fixed Income Data and Analytics Team is looking for a talented project specialist. You will work with multiple data teams, tech teams, product teams to define, manage, and implement high-quality and timely project deliveries. You will lead face-to-face meetings and conference calls with internal and external stakeholders, as well as create and manage project documentation. Attention to detail and the ability to marshal a team towards client project and organization goals are essential for success in this position. This position is based in our Chicago
• Adopt and adhere to Morningstar’s Project Management Framework. Manage multiple projects using Agile tools such as JIRA.
• Serve as Scrum Master in managing sprints and working with team members to deliver working software and eliminate roadblocks.
• Lead Agile communication and planning activities, including stand-ups, sprint planning meetings, showcases and retrospectives.
• Coordinate with stakeholders to create and manage a realistic and detailed project schedule; coordinate feasibility approvals from product management, technology, security, design and Product PMO, as required.
• Identify project risks, develop mitigation plans, and escalate potential impediments to success to stakeholders and see it through eventual resolution.
• Manage and communicate regular updates on project status (e.g., work completed, work in progress, next steps, risks, KPIs, and costs) to stakeholders, peers, Product PMO as well as senior management at Morningstar.
• Participate in project requirement gathering, understand business deliverables.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance, MIS, or a related field.
• At least three years of experience in project management is required, preferably in investment related project management, with some exposure to software development desired.
• Knowledge of software development processes and methodologies is required; experience with Agile is preferred; a commitment to mastering agile project management is required.
• A proven record in managing multiple projects with changing scope and a large distributed technical team.
• Proven success facilitating team collaboration across multiple offices, with a willingness to collaborate with offshore development teams at off-hours.
• Excellent communication, time management/organization, troubleshooting, and analytical skills.
• Ability to lead team decision-making processes and foster an environment of healthy team debate and collaboration.
• Comfort in dealing with ambiguity, ability to create focus and keep the team focused on business objectives.
Nice to have
• High-level knowledge of technology is desirable.
• Prior experience using JIRA project and issue tracking software is desirable.
• Familiarity with Morningstar project management framework/data/products is a plus.