Lead Data Governance Consultant (End User Data Management) at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
As a Lead Data Governance Consultant – End User Data Management, you will lead team members in executing data governance activities, including management of sensitive data (data classification and tagging), metadata management, data cataloging, data quality management, and data stewardship. You work with other team members to evolve the policies, standards, processes and tools that we have implemented around our data governance program with special emphasize on data classification. You will work with teams in Business Technology and other Business Units to build productive working relationships in order to mature and implement our data classification strategy, including recommendation on data classification tools.
- Leads the design, development, implementation and evolution of a long-term enterprise data governance program
- Lead/Drive data classification and tagging strategy for End User managed data in collaboration with the Enterprise Architecture, Cybersecurity and Corporate Risk Management teams.
- Builds productive working relationships with teams within the company to recommend capabilities and frameworks to evolve the maturity of data classification strategy
- Collaborate with Enterprise Architecture, Cybersecurity and Corporate Risk Management teams to documents requirements for data classification tools (for structured, and semi/unstructured data).
- Partners with external vendors and industry experts to evolve the data governance program using industry frameworks, templates and expert organizations
- Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc.), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on data management policies, procedures, standards and controls.
- Develops and codes solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management and data steward activities
- Designs solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management and data steward activities
- Implements some improvements in architecture, team processes and functions.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, or related
- 4+ years of work experience in Information Technology, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality, or related
- In lieu of education experience, 8+ years of work experience in Information Technology, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality, or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Understanding of data governance concepts and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
- Strong interpersonal skills including effective negotiation, conflict management, and ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Experience with data classifications/tagging tools
- Experience managing data governance initiatives
- Strong program management and collaboration skills
- Strong change management skills
- Ability to make verbal presentations on Data Governance topics.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Project, Visio and PowerPoint.
- Self-starter with the initiative to act upon opportunities with little direction and moderate oversight.
- Working knowledge of Cloud, and Data Warehouses on premise and on the cloud
- Experience with metadata management tools such as Alation, and Ab Initio Metadata Hub.
- Agile development methodologies or Lean Six Sigma
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.