Lead Scrum Master at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Digital Payments PMO Team is looking for an experienced Lead Scrum Master to work across teams and Value Streams to identify opportunities to influence across Discover in our way of working to build a long-lasting and high-performing agile organization. This role is part of the leadership team within a Value Stream and will be at the forefront of driving the culture shift and shaping how we work, learn, and innovate. This role helps shape our product development practices, build strong communities and a culture of continuous learning and continuous improvement.
What You’ll Do
As part of our Digital Payments domain, you’ll:
- Optimize the flow of work across multiple agile teams within a Value Stream to reduce toil, leading to delivery of measurable product value with early and continuous product increments
- Be the champion of a Lean and Agile mindset across teams within a Value Stream; teach, coach and mentor others in agile practices
- Motivate and enable others to take accountability to streamline product delivery processes and for them to efficiently manage large and complex products
- Communicate fluently across teams within the Value Stream up to and including senior leadership
- Identify innovative solutions to Value Stream challenges drawing patterns from established agile frameworks (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, LeSS, [email protected], Nexus and SAFe), and interfacing with non-agile elements
- Leverage data and metrics to derive insights and enable teams within the Value Stream to continuously identify improvement opportunities and drive these improvements
- Contribute to the greater Discover community on improving our way of working and help building long-lasting culture changes
- Lead the charge on building community, foster inter-team collaboration and the culture of continuous learning and continuous improvement across the entire Value Stream
- Partner with Discover Technology Academy to create, contribute and teach through immersive learning experiences that support delivery of products, services, solutions and capabilities
How You’ll Do It
- Coach teams within a Value Stream to own and continually improve their process and practices.
- Facilitate team activities including daily stand-up meetings, grooming, sprint planning, demonstrations, release planning and team retrospectives.
- Manage sprint release deliverables and proactively identify and resolve impediments to help the team work effectively, meet sprint objectives and ensure releases stay on track.
- Ensures sprint releases stay on track and updates sprint activities in agile planning and execution tracking tool.
- Communicate Agile team's progress, dependencies, and impediments.
- Participate in program increment (PI) planning events.
- Identify dependencies between agile teams, then communicate and resolve dependencies.
- Follow and promote Agile methodology and related scrum ceremonies within a cross-functional Agile team.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Information Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related experience
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Strong Agile mindset
- Agile practice related Certifications a plus (CSM, CSP-SM, SAFe, SAFe Scrum Master, etc.)
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Demonstrated ability to coach, lead, and train others
- Strong change management skills to foster buy in of new ideas
- Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Proactive listening skills and ability to express empathy
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- Experience working for a large, highly sophisticated organization
- Demonstration of flexibility and adaptability in order to pivot based on organizational priorities
- Willingness to challenge disempowering behaviors and the status quo
- Embracement of an experimental attitude and readiness to take risks
- Strong background with Jira
- Have experience going through an Agile transformation
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.