Manager, Advanced Mobility Initiative + Millennium Gateway Innovation Lab
City Tech Collaborative seeks a manager to lead a dynamic, cross-sector transportation effort to address urban mobility challenges and opportunities.
The successful applicant will lead City Tech’s Advanced Mobility Initiative and Millennium Gateway Innovation Lab to engage partner organizations in thought leadership, solution development, and resident engagement opportunities to advance a new mobility future for cities.
Core activities will include managing a pipeline of mobility problem statements, technology pilots, and commercially-viable products and capabilities. Specific responsibilities include:
- Advanced Mobility Initiative and Millennium Gateway Innovation Lab Program Delivery: Manage development of groundbreaking mobility and parking solutions via existing 3-yr roadmap, including workplan development and implementation, day-to-day program management, progress tracking, and impact reporting.
- Ecosystem Management: Facilitate stakeholder engagement of over 20 cross-sector partners, as well as outreach to new capabilities partners when needed. Support initiative governance via City Tech leadership as well as an external advisory group to review initiative outputs and prioritize new opportunities. Engage with peer organizations and stakeholders in partner cities (NYC, LA, London) to improve programming and expand impact.
- Solution Development: Through structured meetings, roundtables, and workshops, build buy-in and support from cross sector teams to create new solutions to complex urban mobility challenges. The role will establish the technology and business case for solution development teams, direct pilot scoping, and leverage the City Tech Project Management Team for final scoping, legal, and execution oversight.
- Thought Leadership: Organize and participate in thought -leadership activities promoting City Tech perspective on collaborative solution development and the future mobility landscape, leveraging and including our partner ecosystem.
This full-time, W2 position is scoped as a three-year role, with potential to extend based on performance, outcomes, and initiative funding. The role reports to City Tech’s Director of City Solutions and will address broad mobility challenges across urban infrastructure as well as targeted solutions in a dedicated parking garage innovation testbed. The position is based in downtown Chicago – at a globally-recognized innovation hub – with up to ~10% travel to engage with initiative participants and/or participate in conferences or thought leadership activities.
Competitive compensation will reflect applicant experience and industry / sector standards. Excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance (with flexible spending or health savings account), pre-tax transportation and dependent care benefits, and paid vacation.
In April 2019, City Tech launched a new Advanced Mobility Initiative to develop and deploy new transportation solutions, using cities as testbeds to address resident pain point. This effort will help cities take a more proactive role in transportation planning in the face of urban mobility’s rapidly evolving landscape. The Initiative will apply existing technologies and products to mobility challenges, integrating them into comprehensive solutions to create a more seamless and frictionless transportation system with increased accessibility and reach for cities and their residents.
The Initiative involves more than 20 corporate, startup, civic, and governmental partners, including Microsoft, HERE Technologies, Bosch, and Millennium Garages - a 3.8 million square foot underground multi-location parking facility complex in the heart of downtown Chicago.
Combining City Tech’s proven approach to urban innovation with a world-class parking testbed, a new Millennium Gateway Innovation Lab within the Advanced Mobility Initiative will provide a unique opportunity to integrate urban parking with broader industry transformations by developing and testing new parking-related products, services, and technologies.
This role offers an outstanding opportunity for a candidate with unique functional skills and relevant industry experience, including:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to City Tech’s work; sample majors or concentrations include: technology, computer science, engineering, business administration, marketing, sales, operations, and/or public policy. Master’s or other advanced degree(s) a plus.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in roles of increasing professional responsibility, with demonstrated functional expertise in project management, product development, and building effective teams. Additional experience in varied roles a plus.
- Direct subject matter expertise in transportation, mobility, logistics, and / or parking. Cross-sector experience with public, private, and civic / nonprofit organizations a plus.
- Outstanding communication and facilitation skills, with a demonstrated ability to lead and deliver results without formal authority.
- Microsoft Office power user (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint).
Applicants should be self-motivated, results-oriented, and client / partner-focused, with outstanding strategic thinking and problem-solving skills. This individual must be able to work as an active member of a high-performing, close-knit team. The role involves balancing multiple perspectives, incentives, and motivations, as well as the ability to think like a corporation, startup, public official, philanthropic funder, and city resident.
City Tech team members are mission- and market-driven, with a strong sense of curiosity and demonstrated interest in cities, technology, and inclusive innovation.
City Tech is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek to reflect within our team the diversity of urban residents and partners we serve.
Candidates with a desire to help shape the future of urban mobility should apply with the following:
- Cover letter (required)
- Three professional references (names, roles, organizations) – note: City Tech will not contact references without candidates’ prior approval
ABOUT CITY TECH COLLABORATIVE
City Tech transforms cities into testbeds for new ideas. We remake essential city services and infrastructure using advanced technology, and then expand these solutions to other cities. With our partners, we are diverting rainwater from overloaded sewer systems, easing subway congestion during large events, and launching a digital directory of public health services in Chicago. Please visit www.CityTech.org for more information.