Mgr, Health, Safety & Environment
The EHS Manager is responsible for directing, managing, and coordinating the activities and operations of the EHS Management at Chicago Tribune, Manufacturing & Distribution facilities (Freedom Center and Freedom Center North); to include the development, implementation and administration of various programs involving environmental compliance, general liability and the comprehensive safety and health programs, policies and procedures as well as collaborate with Risk Management on workers’ compensation. Involved with the long term planning and contribute to the overall LEAN strategy by building a successful and sustainable health and safety program which combine associate behavioral programs with LEAN manufacturing.
- Establish and maintain policies, practices and procedures that ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local environmental regulations.
- Implement and support programs that promote a safe and healthy work environment.
- Develop, implement, and track the progress of, programs for the control and reduction of environmental liability, personal injury, and property damage.
- Ensure compliance with applicable health and safety regulations affecting operations.
- Develop and support existing safety initiatives, including in-plant safety committees.
- Recommend, develop and implement environmental, health and safety policies, programs and procedures to eliminate the occurrence of environmental incidents, minimize personal injuries, property damage, and vehicular/general liability claims.
- Conduct periodic audits to identify potential environmental and workplace hazards, programs deficiencies and liabilities.
- Present control and corrective action recommendations to company management.
- Analyze, design, develop and conduct appropriate training programs to assist management with environmental, health and safety responsibilities.
- Assist in conducting the investigation of serious accidents and near-miss incidents.
- Review and analyze accident data to identify trends or areas requiring additional focus.
- Serve as a technical resource to the company in complex areas of EHS compliance, risk management, hazardous materials/waste, industrial hygiene, industrial safety, and/or ergonomics.
- Maintain monthly OSHA and environmental reports.
- Report to Corporate Risk Management and Finance as to the status/future direction/occurrences for each file in litigation and preparing summaries on current litigation cases.
- Keep abreast of industry developments and maintain professional designations through membership in professional associations (RIMS, ASSE, LEPC), by reviewing trade publications and through attendance at trade conventions, seminars, workshops and meetings as necessary.
- Use LEAN manufacturing methodology and LEAN tools (Kaizen events, process mapping, root cause analysis, benchmarking, and root cause analysis) to drive workplace safety improvement.
- Promote the strong connection between LEAN initiatives and safety programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental Engineering, Risk Management or related field.
- 8-10 years’ experience in the environmental, health and safety or risk management field.
- LEAN Manufacturing designation and experience a plus
- Risk Management or Safety Designation (RF, ARM, CSP, CSHM, ,) preferred.
- Proven ability in facilitating training for all employee levels.
- Ability to develop and meet deadlines and budgets.
- Effective leadership and personnel management skills
- Ability to develop and implement procedures and programs
- Demonstrated proficiency in IT based skills including word processing, spreadsheet applications, database management and electronic communication methods.