Who We Are
At 8th Light, we take a human-centered approach to software development, collaborating with the people writing the code as well as those using it. We embrace the need for adaptability in a constantly changing world. We are a team of polyglot generalists—thinkers and doers ready to take on most any challenge that we encounter.
An employee-owned software consultancy, we consider software development a craft. Our team of expert developers and designers hold the title of "Crafter" to reflect our dedication to quality, our emphasis on continual learning, and our belief that software is truly a craft—something that we take pride in, and value highly. We value colleagues who enjoy learning and teaching, which creates our collaborative organization.
We work with empathetic, passionate collaborators who value the work they do. If this approach to software development resonates with you, we'd love to talk.Who You Are
You have a track record of building strong relationships with stakeholders (team members, business and product owners, executives, clients). Keys to your success are your ability to balance the needs of the people involved in projects with the business. You’re able to see the big picture on projects and work collaboratively to make a project come to life.
You have successfully:
- Led high impact agile software projects with increasing responsibility over 10 years
- Estimated the scope and size of custom software projects
- Managed technical and design staff for at least 5 years
- Brought together people from different functions and perspectives in forums that encourage idea sharing and problem solving
- Set direction in the face of ambiguity
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, especially conveying complex information in an understandable manner
- Collaboratively led stakeholders to balance technical, product, team and financial considerations
What You’ll Do At 8th Light
You’ll manage a portfolio of projects, managing teams to successfully deliver software for our clients. You’ll make immediate contributions to projects, rapidly building trust with clients. You’ll work pragmatically to balance technology choices while delivering high quality work within deadlines. You’ll support the career growth of the people you manage. You’ll serve as a member of 8th Light’s leadership team, working to improve our organization.
As a Project Director, you will:
- Manage project delivery - in some cases directly with the project team, in other cases by coaching your Team Leads to success
- Define the skills needed for project teams and staff a team in partnership with 8th Light’s staffing specialist
- Serve as a member of the 8th Light leadership team, leading or supporting initiatives to support 8th Light’s growth and improvement
- Maintain relationships with key client delivery and/or product leaders
- Represent the client’s needs and context to the team
- Share patterns/learnings from delivery with client sponsor(s)
- Collaborate with Account Directors to influence and implement strategies for growing client accounts
- Contribute to the sales process by identifying new business opportunities within your portfolio and by collaborating with the Sales team to define solutions for new proposals
- Support the careers of developers and designers that report to you
- Ensure team members receive project performance feedback
- Participate in our hiring process
- Contribute to 8th Light and our broader community by, for example, serving as a mentor to apprentices, representing 8th Light by speaking, or writing externally
- Travel occasionally (10-20%), once it is again safe to do so
We welcome potential colleagues with previous experience in consulting, and consider that experience a bonus, not a requirement. We understand that sometimes long lists of qualifications might cause feelings of imposter syndrome. We truly hope to hear from you.Join Us
We recognize that creating a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization is an ongoing journey, and we’re excited to share our journey with you. We have a proud tradition of hiring talented colleagues with unusual career experiences. We're more interested in your experiences, results, and impact than brand names, degrees, or keywords that may appear on your resume.
8th Light is a remote-friendly organization.
8th Light is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.