SAP Technical/HANA Architect at Walgreens
The SAP Technical Architect is responsible for the SAP estate technology.
They own the technical health of the SAP systems, they manage system performance, resilience and capacity, driving action to proactively change setup in order to avoid issues arising. They leverage their deep SAP & HANA expertise on SAP components such as HANA, S4, CAR, BW and work closely with the Basis and Infrastructure experts. They troubleshoot issues and lead/participate in ongoing performance tuning and operational improvements.
Responsible for the delivery of SAP technical designs, which define, develop and communicate the target architecture for SAP technical solutions. They ensure already defined principles and standards are deployed within their domain. The SAP Technical Architect validates all relevant work estimates.
Support the development of the SAP Enterprise Technical Architecture, including roadmap development, which will define the technical direction for the SAP estate and setting of design principles and patterns covering platform, integration (internal and external to SAP), security and user access.
They are a subject matter expert for their technical domain and work at a global and local level with stakeholders where SAP solutions are implemented. They work as part of the SAP CoE team across Service, Projects and Architecture.
Implements activities that generally impact multiple components / processes and the work of own and possibly other teams. Assigned complex undertakings that regularly require the application of independent judgment. Receives work in short– and mid- term outcomes and operates within the context of approved methods.
- Creates design documents that ensure consistency in development across the IT/Engineering organization. Participates in the definition of IT/Engineering architecture to ensure that the IT/Engineering organization's solutions are built within a consistent framework and aligned to strategy.
- Participates in the decision-making processes related to the selection of software architecture solutions.
- Serves as a technical and business-savvy resource to software development engineering personnel on a range of software design issues.
- Implements and improves core software infrastructure. Participates in improving software development lifecycle, technical operations and technology innovation.
- Participates in developing technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Shares complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions. .
- Effectively resolves problems and roadblocks as they occur.
- May perform systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation.
- Provides day-to-day administrative direction and oversight of key technology/information systems and general support activities.
- Works with key shareholders to formulate a comprehensive technology plan that is consistent with the overall business objectives and budgetary considerations.
- Applies broad knowledge of product/service capabilities and environment to identify new growth areas, new technology and emerging product/service opportunities. Conducts technological research by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects. Recommends information technology strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Implements policies and defines approach to strategy achievement for specified area of responsibility. Analyzes long-term impact of new or anticipated strategies and decisions.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree and at least 4 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role OR High school / GED and at least 7 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role.
- At least 3 years of leadership experience in server side or client side technologies
- Experience in domain-specific architecture concepts and emerging technologies (Design patterns, frameworks, Java based solutions, cloud technologies, public cloud technologies, Microservices based solutions, mobile, infrastructure administration and/or data sciences)
- At least 1 year of experience in domain-specific Architecture.
- Experience working with matrix teams including teams in different time zones;
- Experience creating and promoting guiding development principles and influencing development teams, business users and management in adoption of technical solutions.
- Experience analyzing and reporting data in order to identify issues, trends, or exceptions to drive improvement of results and find solutions.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience with HANA databases (3+ years), SAP PO, BODS, S4, CAR, BW/BOBJ and other critical SAP solution in the Retail and Finance space
- Experience working in cloud hosted environment such as Azure
- Experience with mobile devices connecting to SAP environment desired
- Experience in trace analysis, and reviewing/analyzing error log files to conduct root-cause analysis and problem determination
- Knowledge of processes / technology in area of technology specialism
- Experience with the design and development of SAP solutions
- At least 3 years’ experience in SAP Basis technology for both ABAP and JAVA technologies
- Knowledge of SAP and non-SAP IT capabilities, methods and technologies
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information technology, Engineering, Science, or Math.
- Experience with full stack ABAP development, ABAP on HANA, UI5 and Fiori, HANA SQL, OData Services etc.
- A broad and balanced understanding of IT capabilities, methods and technologies
- Experience of leading/working in a team comprised of onshore and offshore resources
- Experience of influencing stakeholders on the solutions for proposed initiatives
- Strong experience of the technical design and development of solutions
- Experience of a retail organization
- Expert knowledge of processes in relevant business areas (e.g. Finance, Supply Chain)
- ITIL Qualification / Experience