Scrum Master I
Grainger is North America’s leading Maintenance Repair & Operating provider and we are the 10th largest North American E-commerce player with over 50% of our revenue coming from online transactions. Within the Enterprise Systems team we use technology to support the ever-changing and dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of 25,000+; and we are committed to delivering technical solutions to support the business in its mission to stay atop. We deliver technology solutions across the enterprise including our call centers, branch network, sales, and our various digital channels. The team supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly. The team of 500+ is comprised of Infrastructure + Operations, Cyber Security, Technology Planning, Architecture and Engineering and are built in a way to support the dynamic and ever changing customer landscape.
Key Technologies / Framework: Java, J2EE, Ruby on Rails, RDBS, NoSQL, Lucene, SOLR
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follows the Agile Values and Principles, the ScrumMaster is responsible for sharing knowledge, guiding the teams and following the Scrum Framework.
- Coordinates Sprints, from Iteration Planning through daily Scrum, including Iteration Reviews/Demos and Retrospectives
- Guides, motivates, removes barriers, and leads the team through problem solving activities.
- Anticipates, resolves and escalates risks or issues to appropriate level of management for timely resolution to support earlier, incremental delivery of value.
- Assesses the Scrum maturity of the team and organization, coaching the team to higher levels of maturity utilizing CI experiments and retrospective feedback at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Acts as front-line contact with the Product Owner, Dev Lead (Development Manager or BSM), and Project Manager on team and/or project related issues, responding to concerns with clear and concise feedback.
- Collaborates with Product Owner and Technical Leaders to maintain a groomed, prioritized backlog is in place, taking sequencing, scope, and risk management into consideration.
- Provides metrics (team performance, sprint burn downs, backlog assessments, quality measurement) to Project Managers, Program Managers, or Technical Leadership to assist with Release Planning and Forecasting activities
Preferred Education & Experience:
- ScrumMaster certification (CSM, PSM I) preferred
- Experience with agile/lean principles and practices (see table below for guidance per level)
- Experience playing the ScrumMaster role for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory (see table below for guidance per level)
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Keen critical-thinking skills
- Experienced with story mapping, story sketching, decomposing work, estimating techniques such as planning poker
- Experience with scope control and change management processes, policies, and principles.
- Demonstrated solid influencing skills.
- Interacts effectively with Teammates and business partners; makes persuasive and informative presentations
- Some experience in effectively navigating a highly matrixed organization
- Excellent written, verbal, and electronic communication skills.
- Experience with Agile management tools (i.e., Jira, Rally, Mingle, Pivotal Tracker)
“Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.”