Senior Consultant, Portfolio and Program Management at West Monroe (Chicago, IL)
Ready to thrive in the next step on your career journey?
West Monroe is seeking a Senior Consultant with current business / technology consulting experience to join our rapidly growing Portfolio & Program Management team within our Operations Excellence practice. West Monroe’s Operations Excellence practice is focused on driving value from strategy through execution—not merely pointing to best practices and standards. We enable clients to realize the enduring benefits of IT, business, process and organizational optimization by delivering real, sustainable adoption. Our solutions focus on value creation through the lenses of people, process, and technology across functional transformation and related platforms, productivity, and transformation enablement. Each consultant within our Operations Excellence practice is aligned to one of six focus areas including Financial Management, Organizational Change Management, Portfolio & Program Management, Supply Chain Management, Productivity, and IT Strategy & Business Process Outsourcing.
We are seeking a candidate with at least 4 years of proven experience in various aspects of program/portfolio management, Business Transformation Office (BTO), Project Management Office (PMO) operations. As a Senior Consultant on our Portfolio & Program Management team you will serve our clients in several roles focusing on program management, portfolio management, health assessments of projects and programs, building/optimizing project management offices, and standing up/running business transformation offices. You will also support our industry vertical teams, with the primary overlaps being Healthcare Life Sciences, High Tech, Energy & Utilities and Financial Services. In addition to client service delivery, you will be an integral part of our team that helps shape our practice culture through strategy, recruiting, team building, practice development, etc.
- Establish core portfolio management processes such as intake/funding, resource management, budget management and integrated planning
- Oversee a portfolio of projects/initiatives, defining and implementing effective tools, team structures and reporting processes
- Develop and maintain integrated roadmaps to govern efforts and manage interdependencies
- Articulate business value of portfolios and programs by establishing and tracking Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) of projects and programs
- Assess and/or develop enterprise governance frameworks to facilitate intake, delivery controls, value realization, reporting for Transformation Office
- Assess and optimize project and/or program management processes, such as demand management, release management, and project initiation through project closeout
- Coordinate day-to-day delivery efforts with initiative and business leaders including escalation and resolution of high priority issues
- At least 4 years of proven experience in various aspects of program/portfolio management, Business Transformation Office (BTO), Project Management Office (PMO) operations
- Clear understanding and experience in program and portfolio governance approaches (including but not limited to PMI, waterfall, iterative, Agile, Scrum, and SAFe)
- Experience developing work plans, project scopes, pricing estimates, and presentations to assist in selling work to clients
- Experience in PPM tools such as MS Project, Planview, Clarity, Smartsheet
- Ability to communicate clearly and present to senior leadership levels
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, persuade, influence others, and manage conflict to productive conclusion
- Prior consulting experience from either a large/strategic consultancy or internal corporate project management group is preferred
- Experience within one or more of West Monroe Partners’ core industries including Energy & Utilities, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Insurance, Consumer Products, High Tech & Software, Banking and/or Private Equity
- A commitment to inclusion and diversity, and openness to new ideas and perspectives
- Ability to travel 50%
Ready to get started? Join our team and make an impact.
At West Monroe, our people are our business.
We pride ourselves on bringing a different mindset to consulting—and that takes a different approach: highly collaborative, flexible, and tenacious.
Our people-first culture is core to our identity. It’s something we care about, and something we strive to enrich and preserve. No hierarchies. No siloes. No egos. Just smart ideas, unique perspectives, and the drive to make an impact for our clients.
We also know that the best outcomes for both our people and our clients result from including diverse perspectives at the table. That’s why inclusion & diversity is one of our core values.
Every day our clients rely on us to help them tackle their greatest challenges, by strategically deploying technology through a business-focused and industry-specific lens. We bring together both the right knowledge and the right approach, so that they can capitalize on opportunities and deliver real results. That takes the right team. And that’s where you come in.
West Monroe Partners is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
We believe in treating each employee and applicant for employment fairly and with dignity. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. To learn more about inclusion and diversity at West Monroe, visit www.westmonroe.com/inclusion.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read West Monroe’s Notice at Collection for California residents, provided pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and linked here.