Senior Project Manager, Retirement Manager at Morningstar
Morningstar brings people together with a singular goal in mind—to build software that users love. From individual investors to portfolio managers—we live to create transparency, always focused on bringing clarity to complexity and creating tools that support millions of investors in ways that excite, inform and create long-term success. Our employees have helped millions of investors around the world by thinking independently, by being passionate entrepreneurs applying research insights to data and building software that helps investors succeed. Our team is built around technology, research, and design. We want great people who are curious, who love to share new ideas and perspectives and who are exceptional at every turn. It’s that simple.
The Workplace group’s mission is to put employees on the path to financial freedom and security, driving better financial and retirement outcomes for employees and designing unique solutions that help solve our clients’ current and future problems. We are looking for a talented Senior Project Manager with deep Agile experience to join us in building software that users love. You will support the growth of Morningstar’s flagship managed account platform as ScrumMaster for at least two squads, leading successful delivery of working software.
Project Managers are responsible for facilitating the planning and execution of product development projects/programs through coordination of multiple disciplines and external clients where necessary. They are stewards of Morningstar’s development framework and operational best practices. Most importantly, they are responsible for guiding delivery of business value in the form of working software, at regular, frequent intervals. This position is based in our Chicago office and reports to the VP, Product in our Workplace group.
- Conceptualize, define, and manage technology projects from discovery through deployment, working closely with the development and business teams.
- Facilitate high-engagement Scrum ceremonies and team meetings, managing follow up and communications with the necessary stakeholders.
- Establish, track, and guide improvement of Agile metrics to drive continuous improvement in reducing cycle time, reducing quality defects, and increasing team engagement.
- identify issues during the sprint and help team in resolution of issues which impede progress.
- Conduct business analysis and product research as needed to facilitate team decision making and support product owner in gathering business requirements.
- Foster an environment of healthy team debate and collaboration.
- Mentor and educate team members in Agile principles, Scrum methods, and best practices, and share lessons learned with peer project managers.
- Drive definition and continuous improvement of team workflow, cadence, and core operational processes, dynamically reacting to evolving client needs and competing priorities.
- Manage each major and minor release, then collect and share valuable lessons learned.
- Help teams to juggle schedules and team members, shielding the team from interruption by anticipating, negotiating, or escalating conflicts as needed.
- Support management by assisting with team member interviewing, onboarding, knowledge transfer, and contributing to performance management as requested.
- Effectively communicate objectives and updates to all key stakeholders.
- 5+ years applied experience in project management in a custom software development environment using Agile principles and Scrum practices.
- 3+ years experience gathering and interpreting Scrum metrics to draw accurate conclusions to help the team surface and implement corrective actions.
3+ years applied experience working directly with external or client teams, communicating at all levels up to senior management.
- Current certification as ScrumMaster (CSM), Scrum Trainer (CST), and/or any of the Scaled Agile equivalents (RTE, SA, SPC).
- Demonstrated effectiveness at coaching teams to higher performance and providing constructive feedback to both the team and stakeholders.
- A proven track record of being a Scrum Master for multiple teams.
- A proven track record of multiple successful software releases and/or deliveries.
- Proven success facilitating collaboration across multiple disciplines (engineering, design, product, business, etc.) and teams (internal, client, etc.).
- Excellent communication, time management/organization, troubleshooting, and analytical skills.
- Possess strong active listening skills.
- Comfort in dealing with ambiguity, ability to create focus and keep the team focused on business objectives.
- Prior experience using Atlassian tools including Jira and Confluence.
- Bachelor's degree.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.