Solution Development Manager at City Tech Collaborative
City Tech Collaborative seeks a manager to lead a dynamic portfolio of cross-sector solutions being developed for complex challenges in cities.
The successful applicant will lead City Tech’s solution development process to engage partner organizations in the integration of technology and expertise to demonstrate new, scalable solutions in live city testbeds. Current portfolio impact areas include Advanced Mobility, Parking, Connected Infrastructure, Healthy Cities, and Freight. Core activities will include team formation, scope of work and legal documentation, as well as project management of cross-sector interdisciplinary teams.
This is a full-time, temporary position; after approximately six months, the position has the potential to become a full-time, regular position with benefits. The starting salary will be $80k to $90k based on experience.
City Tech is based in downtown Chicago in a globally recognized collaboration center. The team is currently working remotely through 2020 and will continue to reassess the situation to ensure the health, safety, and comfort level of the team before returning to in-person work.
City Tech is seeking candidates for a Manager of Solution Development. Reporting to the City Tech Director of City Solutions, the Manager of Solution Development is a self-starter, pragmatic, and comfortable managing a diverse and nimble portfolio of projects. The position is responsible for overseeing the development and management of pilot projects, leveraging both product management and solution design expertise. The position will maintain an active pilot portfolio of projects in various stages of development including team formation, scoping, legal negotiation, execution, and evaluation/scaling. The Manager will work closely with the Director of City Solutions to track portfolio progress and balance while also advising on solution feasibility and design at the onset of projects.
The Manager will build and work closely with cross-sector teams of various skills and experience to guide them through the City Tech solution co-development process and ensure successful pilot execution. The position will also coordinate with the City Tech Strategic Partnerships team to ensure current partners are engaged and informed of the pilot portfolio status, as well as to provide input on business development strategy.
- Pilot Program Management
- Oversee comprehensive pilot portfolio, including scope of work development, management of legal agreement completion, pilot execution, and project close-out documentation
- Plan and execute pilot team meetings, workshops, or other communications to advance pilot development goals and timelines
- Manage cross-sector, multi-disciplinary teams during pilot execution based on legal agreement commitments
- Engage with and integrate City Tech’s Resident Engagement programs into solution development opportunities
- Maintain regular portfolio tracking to monitor progress, portfolio balance, funder reporting, and partner health / engagement
- Oversee content for marketing and communications of pilot outputs
- Pilot Program Development
- Document and continuously improve co-development methodology alongside contributing City Tech team members
- Define and maintain optimal portfolio balance in line with City Tech impact areas and product development goals
- Advise on solution feasibility and design during partner engagement and opportunity discovery
- Identify new pilot opportunities in alignment with strategic partnership objectives, supporting City Tech team members leading these activities
- Thought Leadership
- Contribute to writing and publishing efforts across City Tech communications channels
- Seek and participate in speaking opportunities to champion piloting methodology and specific solution outputs
This role offers an outstanding opportunity for a candidate with unique functional skills and relevant industry experience, including:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in roles of increasing professional responsibility, with demonstrated functional expertise in program management, solution implementation, product management, business analysis, and/or planning
- Microsoft Office power user (SharePoint, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to lead and deliver results without formal authority
- Skilled in multi-party scope of work development, and comfortable working collaboratively and resolving conflicts across teams and disciplines
- Knowledge of design and product development methodologies; additional go-to-market strategy development experience is preferred
- Creative and flexible, with a passion for making cities happier, healthier, and more productive
- PMP certification desirable, but not required
Applicants should be self-motivated, results-oriented, and partner-focused, with outstanding strategic thinking and problem-solving skills. This individual must be able to work as an active member of a high-performing, close-knit team. The role involves balancing multiple perspectives, incentives, and motivations, as well as the ability to think like a corporation, startup, public official, philanthropic funder, and city resident.
City Tech team members are mission- and market-driven, with a strong sense of curiosity and demonstrated interest in cities, technology, and inclusive innovation.
City Tech is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek to reflect within our team the diversity of urban residents and partners we serve.