Sr Manager, Architecture Mgmt
Job Title: Sr Mgr, Architecture Mgmt
Our Grainger business environment requires business functional leaders to thoroughly understand the technology required to operationalize their long term plans. The Senior Architecture Manager (SAM) enables strategic architecting of solutions by coaching Solution Architects on his/her team in applying the discipline of Solution Architecture. The role should have experience partnering and managing dialog and engagement of architecture resources with multiple client business units, and take responsibility for ensuring that scoping items are reasonably established for projects, and know how to resolve conflicting goals from different stakeholders. The manager will guide SAs in the architectural considerations relating to both 3rd-Party solution implementations and custom development. The SAM should have a firm background architecture methodologies and Agile processes and be able to mentor the solution architects in how to coordinate with both business stakeholders and development teams.
This role helps Grainger’s leaders and their teams bring solution designs forward to create a competitive advantage for how we grow and develop our global organization. He/she leads and facilitates business and technology leaders to define solution direction, create architectural roadmaps and translate business roadmaps into specific solutions aligned with enterprise guidelines. He/she will also identify and act upon opportunities for continuous improvement in areas of Proof-of-Concepts (PoCs). The SAM should be versed in coaching his/her team to hold stakeholders accountable for providing adequate requirements during planning cycles. The SAM will report to the Director of Solutions Architecture and Engineering.
The SAM develops a strong understanding of the organization’s business drivers and strategies, technology trends, key strategic technology partner relationships, as well as key business leaders and decision makers, competitive position in the marketplace, etc. The SAM works directly with his/her architects and is seen as a member of their team by positively contributing to the development of the architectural standards, PoCs, and solution roadmaps. The SAM also engaged with Enterprise Architecture teams to ensure defined and consistent collaborations are in place. Additionally, the SAM builds, enhances and maintains trusted relationships, strong partnerships and communication at the mid-management level. With those key stakeholders, he/she acts as a trusted advisor to effectively engage his team in providing architected solution to meet business needs.
The SAM provides a primary point of contact with Strategy Portfolio Managers to ensure Solution Architecture resources are engaged effectively within their directed areas. The SAM is focused on inspiring, influencing and managing a team of solution architects to ensure they can effectively work with the business and IT to craft solution architectures that provide long-term focused value to the company. He/she functions as a thought leader and strategic partner in the discipline of Enterprise and Solution Architecture.
Strategic Solution Planning and Business Need Vetting:
- Understands how to coordinate multiple client business units with commonalities in needs, and work with Their team to present unified solutions
- Provides the guidance to ensure adequate business requirements have been collected to reliably propose a solution meeting the requested needs
- Experience engaging areas such as security, legal, DevOps, and infrastructure, to help facilitate the right questions between these groups and Architecture
- Support the business in forecasting, documenting and planning for future needs and translate business strategies into solution designs that can be used for both producing ROMs and proof-of-concept estimates that can help close the gap on future solutions.
- Collaborate with Enterprise Architecture to ensure solutions align with enterprise initiatives and architecture guidelines and oversee the development on common approaches for ceremonies and architectures between Enterprise and Solution Architects.
- Evangelize architecture methodology to other areas across organizational boundaries and geographies to develop consistent leveraging of common solutions
- Work with a long-term and cross-organization perspective to fairly and equitably address issues and problems
- Knowledge of industry trends and up to date technologies as input into solution design options
Roadmap and Solution Selection:
- Provide the experience of establishing solution roadmaps and leading discussions with business and IT to establish key transitional architectural states.
- Understand Enterprise Architecture objectives for establishing enterprise level business and technology roadmaps with horizons, and how to work with Solution Architects to translate that to project or program level initiatives for business units.
- Participation in governance committees related to enterprise and solution architecture, and specifically to cloud governance.
- Identify opportunities for business, IT and/or Digital experiments and proofs of concept where these might mitigate risk or enable strategic options.
- Engage and contribute to developing a high performing team of SAs – develop goal setting, appraise personal performance against team goals, support team members in their respective endeavors and seek ways to enhance the collective SA teams’ engagement.
- Comply with IT and/or Digital enterprise governance.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Strong client-facing skills to understand underlying client goals, set realistic expectations, and ensure commitments are formalized.
- Experience in coordinating multiple stakeholders concurrently, with both distinct and common requests.
- Exposure to various technical environments and business segments
- Experience operating in organizations with mature Enterprise and Solution Architecture departments and processes.
- Solid business and technology acumen
- Solid background in IT and architecture delivery and direct business engagement roles
- Experience in strategic planning, business development, and enterprise roadmap development.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, articulate and then translate concepts to strategies, solutions and actions
- Knowledgeable in the practices of agile and product management discipline
- Demonstrates thought leadership in architecture
- Built, maintained and improved trusted management relationships
- Experience with program and portfolio management
- Knowledge of and experience with external vendor solution evaluation
“Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.”