Staff Technical Program Manager, Data Science Engineering at Root
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We're actively hiring Engineers for our Columbus, OH or Chicago, IL offices, as well as those who prefer to work remotely! Remote employees must be located in the United States are expected to work either Eastern or Central timezone hours.
We’re scaling rapidly, and we recently launched a $6B IPO:
Technical Program Managers at Root are expected to wear many hats. Your primary objective is to lead and drive cross-cutting technical initiatives with a focus on engineering rigor and operational excellence. As a driver of technical initiatives, you must exhibit a strong bias for action and a passion to get shit done. You should draw on your personal engineering experience to identify both tactical and strategic outcomes and understand how these outcomes support organizational objectives. You are expected to independently navigate through ambiguity to define technology, project, program, and product requirements with an eye on continuous improvement opportunities. Risk identification, avoidance, and subsequent trade-off negotiation to optimize business outcomes is a key expectation of this role. You should be comfortable communicating with and influencing all levels of stakeholders through concise, timely, audience-appropriate verbal and written communications. The role of a TPM at Root is designed to be as flexible as our business. Priorities and focus will likely shift in time as we understand where you can deliver the most impact.
We divide the areas of responsibility for members of the Engineering Team into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
Scope of Impact: Multiple Teams, Large Initiatives, or Company
What we look for in Technical Program Managers:
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies (AWS), client-server architecture, web, and data warehouse technologies.
- Identifies and drives engineering rigor and operational excellence opportunities to enhance our technical solutions.
- Hands-on experience in an engineering role (infrastructure and/or software).
- Expert-level knowledge of database technologies, SQL, and version control tools.
- Expert-level knowledge of DevOps and agile/scrum methodologies.
Planning and Execution
- Drives highly complex technical solutions partnering with cross-functional teams to achieve optimal engineering and product outcomes.
- Identifies technical, program, and product risks and negotiates the best course of action to achieve optimal business outcomes.
- Thinks both tactically and strategically to ensure effective end-to-end program management through a solid understanding of business requirements, timelines, and quality objectives.
Working with Others
- Provides clear, concise, and timely communications to all levels of stakeholders.
- Adapts communication to deliver the right message to the right audience.
- Builds partnerships with stakeholders to understand and drive business outcomes.
- Deep dives into requirements and solutions with engineering, data science, and product teams to ensure outcomes deliver on organizational objectives.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us