Technical Project Manager
The Group: The Product Capabilities group is a product development organization that provides software platforms, services, and components fueling Morningstar’s product portfolio across client segments. This diverse set of teams develop software for truly differentiated capabilities, including analytics products, investment research software, portfolio software, financial planning tools, and investment reports. Building on top of these financial capabilities, our teams also offer flexible solutions fit for client specific needs by integrating Morningstar APIs, Components and workflows based on client requirements. This group is also responsible for Morningstar’s web-based “Cloud” and native-app “Mobile” platforms, and many of the component and service standards across software teams. Nearly every Morningstar product leverages something from the capability teams, whether as a building block or an entire application. We build software users love, at scale.
The Role: Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to blend technical, product, and communication skills? Morningstar is looking for a talented Project Manager to focus on managing technical projects in our group such as Public Cloud Migration, Platform Modernization and Transformation. In this role you will align with various stakeholders for Morningstar’s Cloud, API and Component strategy. You will be responsible for managing and coordinating with architects and engineers, sometimes vendors and contractors for cross team technical projects. You will also be responsible for presenting project roadmap and status to executive leadership. A secondary responsibility of this role will be to act as the scrum master if necessary. This role reports to Head of Technology Institutional Products and is located at Morningstar Headquarters in Chicago.
- Ensure senior stakeholders are in alignment with our technology strategy through coordination of executive leadership updates and governance meetings
- Coordinate project roadmap by collaborating with product owners and other stakeholders
- Develop and report on KPIs related to technical projects
- Work closely with Financial Manager to ensure teams are within forecasted spend
- Facilitate all Scrum ceremonies for the Cloud Services team, including Stand-ups, Backlog Grooming, Story Estimation, Sprint Planning, Team Retrospectives, and Release Planning.
- 3-5 years experience of program management
- Understanding of both business and technical requirements, and the ability to serve as a conduit between product and technology staff.
- Effective at creating and communicating project reports including status reports, velocity metrics, burndown charts, etc
- Strong interpersonal skills for coaching, team building, and negotiating
- Strong analytical, planning and organizational skills for managing competing demands and priorities
- Ability to understand the business and client needs with a creative problem-solving mindset
- Comfortable in dealing with ambiguity in a fast-paced, complex environment with the ability to keep the team focused on business objectives.
- A bachelor's degree is required.
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certification or relevant experience is a plus
- Scrum Master certification or relevant experience is a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity