Technical Project Manager/Scrum Master at BenchPrep
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. With almost 1M active users last year, we incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history. After just closing a $20 million series C round of funding, we’re fueled for growth. We’re ready to enhance our product offering, extend our position in the education and training industry, and scale our (humble) team.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
BenchPrep is looking for an experienced, organized, and detail-oriented Technical Project Manager/Scrum Master to join our Technology team. As a Technical Project Manager/Scrum Master, you will be responsible for supporting the operations and workflow for all technology teams, including Engineering, UI/UX, QA, Tech Ops, and Data.
You will work very closely with Product Management, Customer Success, and the Executive Strategy team to discuss projects/business objectives, provide capacity and feasibility information, and communicate/delegate projects to various team leads. You would be responsible to provide mentorship and coaching to team members around best practices and principles.
Our ideal candidate is a technical, process-oriented, and has experience supporting the SDLC in a rapid-growth SaaS environment. This candidate would communicate clearly and concisely with their peers and project stakeholders; understanding the underlying motivations, use cases, and justifications for projects is critical to their success at BenchPrep.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Manage departmental operations of Design, Tech Ops, Engineering, and QA
- Help a technology team member understand how and why our workflow operates. And, if necessary, make adjustments and document them as work moves along and feedback is received.
- Answer a difficult question about capacity, velocity, or timeline coming from another team, such as the Product Team, Customer Success Team, or Implementation Team.
- Talk to a customer about a challenge they’re facing, understand what the underlying issue is, propose a solution, and communicate the requirements for that solution to the appropriate technical team member.
- Actively participate in an ideation session with internal and external stakeholders, providing expert guidance, best practices, and feasibility information to the discussion.
- Make a difficult executive decision regarding the technical project, deployment, or strategic initiative.
About the team:
We are a diverse group of people representing Technology organization and all its functions from design, engineering, QA and other operations like devops, data and tech services. We work in agile squads (shuffled each quarter) in a master-stable agile delivery software development lifecycle with combination of feature flagging and short release cycles. We are focused on quality when deliver sustainable, scalable and enterprise ready multi-tenant solutions on our platform.
- Have 1-3 years of experience in Project Management in software development or as a Scrum Master
- Have 2+ years of experience at a SaaS Product Company
- Possess strong knowledge of SDLC, resource management, capacity planning, and process improvement
- Have PMP, PMI-ACP, and/or CSM certification as a plus
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Built in Chicago’s 50 Best Small Companies to Work For in 2019, and Crain’s 2019 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners