Asset Owner Sales Director at Morningstar
The Group: Morningstar, Inc., a leading global provider of independent investment research, is looking for an experienced asset owner and consultant sales individual to serve in Morningstar’s Index market data business. The Index business is responsible for the creation and distribution of Morningstar’s Index Intellectual Property. The group develops new, innovative indexes for use by asset managers and asset owners in serving their clients' investment needs.
The Role: Morningstar Indexes Team seeks a highly motivated Asset Owner Sales Director focused on developing and executing a strategy for adoption of our index offerings in major client segments, including pension funds, endowments, foundations, defined contribution systems and the consultant community. Because this role covers a wide range of opportunities, it will require approximately 25-50% travel. This position will be based in our New York or Chicago office.
- Working with the Head of Index Sales, create an asset owner and consultant business plan designed to establish Morningstar Indexes as a benchmark of choice.
- Build and maintain relationships with key influencers in the asset owner community with programs designed to meet market needs and increase the awareness and adoption of our indexes.
- Generate demand for Morningstar Indexes and data by securing investment mandates from asset owners or via consultant relationships.
- Understand the competitive landscape including comparing Morningstar Indexes with other indexes in key performance areas. Effectively present and distribute these messages so that clients develop a preference for Morningstar Indexes.
- Collaborate with Morningstar Research, Data and other groups to formulate consistent strategies and views on serving the asset owner and consultant communities.
- Assist in the coordination of events to connect asset owners and Morningstar Indexes with internal and external subject matter experts.
- Represent Morningstar Indexes at events and conferences related to the asset owner community including selecting appropriate conference and speaking opportunities.
- Candidates should have at least five (5) years’ experience in institutional sales and account management in the investment index industry.
- Proven track record of exceeding prior annual sales or mandate targets.
- Knowledge of the asset owner investment and decision-making process as well as the competitive landscape.
- Strong ability to build long-term client relationships with executive and senior leadership within the asset owner community through a hands-on, collaborative, customized approach.
- Knowledge of institutional distribution networks and influence forums (publications, events, conferences).
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities and the ability to deliver professional and persuasive presentations.
- Ability to understand complex investment concepts.
- Bachelor's degree; MBA or CFA a plus.