Associate Relationship Manager, Retirement & Workplace Solutions at Morningstar
Morningstar seeks an Associate Relationship Manager for the Workplace group to help oversee the relationships of our institutional clients that license our managed accounts, fiduciary services and custom model offerings including our two new platforms for advisors, Advisor Managed Accounts and Morningstar Plan Advantage. The Relationship Management Team serves as the backbone for our client relationships and success. The team has a large reach with a variety of internal teams (Product, Operations, Implementations, Technology, Legal, Compliance, Investment Methodology, Marketing, and Sales) in order to deliver the best overall strategies and initiatives for our clients. We do this by fostering high touch and deep-rooted relationships with our institutional clients.
As an Associate Relationship Manager, you will be responsible for the overall ongoing relationship for your assigned clients as well as helping support the Relationship Management team with standard functions across all clients. As it relates to managing your own client relationships, some of the functions could include partnering with Sales on new opportunities, collaborating with Marketing on initiatives to drive plan and participant adoption, working with legal counsel and clients on contract negotiations, learning to lead and oversee the discussions in every area of the client relationship including senior level client meetings, strategy planning, annual and quarterly update meetings, methodology and investment related topics, due diligence and corporate security audits. In this role, you’ll start to develop a product/industry knowledge set in order to maximize efforts for your owned clients. Lastly, you will also work to identify new business opportunities within existing client relationships and come up with creative solutions to help in the marketplace. In doing so, the Associate RM will help act as a lead product and/or post-rollout and strategy advisor. This may also include renewals and helping with new business negotiations. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Serve as an Associate Relationship Manager and main point of contact for our Plan Provider, RIA, BD, Asset Management and Plan Sponsor clients
• Support the Relationship Management team with standard functions across all Workplace clients
• Further foster, strengthen and drive successes for owned client relationships
• Pursue opportunities with your clients to grow their assets in the services they license from us
• Possess mid-level knowledge to answer a variety of product, methodology, compliance, investment and technical questions
• Gain knowledge of competitors’ business and offerings
• Expand understanding and knowledge of Morningstar retirement products and industry, including proposed regulatory changes and the impacts on the business
• Coordinate model validations where clients audit the plan lineup and portfolio construction methodology components of the advice process
• Develop account strategies, ensure coordination internally and partner with other Relationship Managers as needed
• Partner with Marketing teams to work on client campaigns to raise adoption and promote our services to the various audiences we serve.
• Partner with Implementation and Operation teams to ensure processes are executed to meet client expectations
• Collaborate with Morningstar Product team to ensure client feedback and implications are being represented in product roadmap decisions
• Proactively engage with clients on new enhancements to our services
• Work with our Consultant Relations team to make sure that all relevant parties are working together.
• Help clients to strategize on programs and initiatives to further drive adoption of our services
• Collaborate with Sales to help identify opportunities for service upsells which add value for both client and Morningstar throughout the relationship
• Collaborate with Sales to support contract discussions, management and negotiations
• 2+ years of relevant work experience, or proven success in managing a book of business and servicing accounts
• Extraordinary written, verbal and presentation skills
• General understanding of mutual funds, financial/investment concepts and retirement market
• Strong analytical, reporting and project management skills
• Can independently organize many moving parts to multiple client relationships
• Bachelor’s degree required