Associate Underwriter at Guaranteed Rate
About Guaranteed Rate:
Guaranteed Rate is the 5th largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. By offering industry-leading tools, low-rate mortgages and unparalleled customer service, we’ve become the Home Purchase Experts®. At Guaranteed Rate, we think big—pushing beyond what most people believe is possible. We strive to work with the best of the best, building business with the best referral partners and hiring the best employees—allowing us to deliver world-class customer service. Our goal is to make sure every customer has a great experience. Headquartered in Chicago with 5,000+ employees in 300+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, we’ve helped thousands of homeowners with more than $37 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in just the past year alone.
This position is responsible for helping to protect Guaranteed Rate’s assets. You will be working with multiple departments to reach successful resolutions and be a part of ensuring a multibillion-dollar portfolio is transferred successfully. The primary objectives of an Associate Underwriter are providing excellent customer service, strengthening underwriting productivity, and ensuring salability of all loan files reviewed. You must be able to think outside the box, and diligently monitor a pipeline. This position is a stepping-stone to becoming an underwriter following completion of required training and test cases.
Guaranteed Rate has a commitment to excellence and the highest standards of customer service (internally and externally). Our values and beliefs of your position are critical to the success and growth of the business and they were all created with a unique cultural foundation.
- Complete a thorough analysis of loan files to determine compliance with company, investor and GSE guidelines.
- Evaluates the entire credit package following the checklist for the specific loan types in which you are assigned.
- Escalate loan files with recommendations on situations that exceed individual lending authority.
- Examine and validate specific loan documentation for accuracy and completeness, checking accuracy of all calculations and loan data.
- Actively taking ownership and managing your own pipeline.
- Work with production staff to secure required documents.
- Entering and tracking information in our LOS.
- Communicate decision on loans to appropriate parties both verbally and in writing.
- Position may require responses to individual and investor audits.
- Strive to meet same day decisions on all submissions.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Respond promptly to all forms of communication.
- College degree or applicable business experience.
- Familiarity of all loan documents, LP, DU, and ability to review for accuracy.
- Preferred strong knowledge of State and Federal laws pertaining to the mortgage banking industry: QM, ATR, RESPA, ECOA, AIR, etc.
- Excellent data entry skills and PC skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
- Excellent customer service skills with strong attention to detail.
- Time Management skills and the ability to prioritize workload based on daily production.
- Strong analytical skills required with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Positive attitude and team-oriented spirit.
- Desire to learn and grow.
- Ability to function in an ever-changing environment.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law.