Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
The Director, Director, Corporate Risk Management Business Strategy is a high profile, strategic position reporting directly to the EVP, Chief Risk Officer and member of Discovers Executive Committee. This person will serve as the Chief of Staff and key advisor for the Chief Risk Officer with a broad array of day-to-day and special project responsibilities. The roles day-to-day responsibilities include managing a team of four employees as well as responsibility for Discovers overall Risk Committee Governance and preparation of reports and presentations for the company’s Senior Management and Board of Directors.
This leader will have a role in directing strategies for the Corporate Risk Department and is also responsible for Corporate Risk Financial Planning and Culture and Career Development. The successful candidate will be asked to provide logistical support and thought leadership for many of the activities intended to set strategic direction and maintain alignment within Corporate Risk. Successful performance in this role presents significant opportunity to advance into a general management role within Corporate Risk or across the DFS enterprise.
- Serves as a key adviser to senior leadership with a broad array of day-to-day and special project responsibilities, such as committee governance, preparation of reports, and presentations for the company's Senior Management and Board of Directors.
- Responsible for financial planning and culture and career development. Provides logistical support and thought leadership for many of the activities intended to set strategic direction and maintain alignment.
- Serves as a thought partner to the business unit heads.
- Owns committee governance and risk committee, including but not limited to frequent interaction with senior leadership and company president
- Prepares periodic presentations such as board reports/presentations, executive committee presentations, rating agency, etc.
- Ensures the business unit operates in a controlled environment.
- Serves as the point person for finance and the finance strategic plan.
- Leads the planning, implementation, and management of management forum.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Engineering, Business, Innovation, or related field.
- 8+ years of experience in Product Management, Innovation Management, Analytics, Strategic Planning, or related field.
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Product Management, Innovation Management, or related field.
- Master's Degree in Finance, Engineering, Business, Innovation, or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in Product Management, Innovation Management, Analytics, Strategic
- Planning, or related field.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated strength in issue identification, directing and performing quantitative analysis, and effectively synthesizing complex data into key insights.
- Significant experience interacting with, presenting to, and influencing senior management audiences.
- The proven ability to apply a general management mindset to a complex operating environment.
- Ability to structure work and provide direction to teams consisting of analysts with diverse skill sets.
- Demonstrated ability to drive action with both direct reports and those over whom he/she has informal or no authority.
- Ability to apply an entrepreneurial mindset and adjust quickly to changing direction and tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Experience in production of Board and CEO level presentations.
- Experience in a Financial Planning & Analysis environment or as a CPA.
- Experience leading a Project Management team.
- Experience in the Consumer Financial Services industry.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.