Partnership Development Associate - City Tech Collaborative
Partnership Development Associate
City Tech Collaborative, UI LABS
+ Position Overview
City Tech seeks a full-time Partnership Development Associate to advance our efforts to develop and implement ideas and solutions that improve urban health, resilience, competitiveness, and quality of life.
This individual will deepen and expand City Tech’s partnerships with corporations, startups, city government, universities, technology accelerators, and civic institutions. Core activities include partner identification, research, engagement, and tracking, with the goal of securing new members, clients, funding, and strategic partners.
The Partnership Development Associate will be an integral member of City Tech’s Business Development Team, reporting to the Director of Strategic Partnerships and coordinating with City Tech’s Operations, Services, and Product Development Teams.
+ Key Responsibilities:
- Partnership & Business Development:
- Work with City Tech colleagues to identify, research, and engage new members, clients, and other partners in the fields of technology, mobility, energy, water, infrastructure, construction, logistics, and local government
- Identify and track funding opportunities, including government and philanthropic grants
- Create and maintain partnership and business development materials (physical and digital)
- Participate in developing business proposals, grant applications, and reports
- Respond to inquiries about City Tech membership, products, and services
- Help to develop and execute business development and partner recruiting events
- Track individual and organizational contacts and interactions using customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Represent City Tech in Chicago’s civic tech community through conferences, meetups, workshops, hackathons, and public forums
- Contribute to City Tech strategic planning and team building activities
- Additional Responsibilities & Cross-Functional Support:
- Monitor civic and technology trends and current events related to City Tech’s work
- Support key City Tech gatherings, including conferences, workshops, educational events, board meetings, and other meetings (including logistics, materials, notes, etc.)
- Develop content for City Tech’s website, webinars, press releases, and social media
- Coordinate with Operations and Finance Teams to support partner invoices and payments
- Assist City Tech’s Director of Product Development, Director of Services & Operations, and other team members in identifying new product and services opportunities
- Occasional travel outside of Chicago for conferences and partner engagement
+ Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to City Tech’s work; sample majors or concentrations include: business administration, technology, marketing, sales, operations, communications, public policy, and/or political science
- Two to five years of professional experience in sales, marketing, and/or partnership development, including direct responsibility for research, sales, and/or account management
- Subject matter experience in one or more fields related to City Tech’s work, including local government, transportation, mobility, energy, infrastructure, public works, data science, mapping, data visualization, internet of things, and project management,
- Microsoft Office power user (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Direct experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software and processes (CRM implementation / adoption experience preferred)
The successful candidate will be organized and reliable, with strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills. This individual will work independently and also participate as an active member of a high-performing, close-knit team. The role requires the ability to think like a corporation, startup, public official, philanthropic funder, and city resident.
Applicants should be tenacious and results-oriented, with a strong sense of curiosity and demonstrated interest in cities, technology, and digital inclusion.
+ Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity:
UI LABS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse environment in our workplace, our communities, and within the tech industry. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, disability status, economic circumstance, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
+ About City Tech Collaborative:
City Tech transforms cities into testbeds for new ideas. With partners and people, we remake essential services and infrastructure, from skills to skyscrapers. We then prepare these solutions for other cities, thus increasing the world’s odds of solving big, urban problems. We are currently easing subway congestion during large events; creating a digital map of Chicago’s underground; and launching a digital directory of public health services in Chicago.
City Tech was born from a merger in 2017 between City Digital and the Smart Chicago Collaborative. City Digital was launched in 2015 to leverage Chicago’s commitment to bring essential services and infrastructure into the modern era; Smart Chicago was formed in 2010 to increase people’s access to the Internet and digital tools. As City Tech, we will reimagine cities as places where technology fuels opportunity, inclusion, engagement and innovation.
+ About UI LABS
UI LABS is an innovation accelerator that leverages a network of hundreds of partners from university + industry, along with startups, government, and community groups, to address problems too big for any one organization to solve on its own. Our mission is to transform industries, starting with manufacturing and infrastructure, using digital technologies. We drive value for our partners and help make the U.S. economy and workforce the most productive in the world. UI LABS encompasses the Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDII) and City Tech Collaborative.
+ Work with Us
UI LABS is a results-oriented, lean, collaborative tech organization and 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We are hard-working, mission-driven, flexible, and work with a sense of urgency. We hire tech-savvy, committed, self-starters who can think outside the box, and have a strong capacity to learn and adapt to the needs of the organization and role through both skill and grit. All-star employees excel without the help of administrative support, and don’t mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty (figuratively!) Additionally, people who love to solve problems, no matter how big or small, find they are a good fit for UI LABS.
Our state-of-the-art facility, located on Goose Island in Chicago (just north of downtown), features a manufacturing floor, a smart green infrastructure testbed, and a bustling open-office environment. UI LABS is a collaborative space, hosting many events for our partners and other prestigious organizations, so being able to engage with staff and visitors in a professional, helpful manner is a must.
UI LABS is a 10-minute walk from the North and Clybourn Red Line stop, a 20-minute walk from the Division Blue Line stop, and accessible by a variety of other public transit options; additionally, we have free parking available for employees.