Morningstar`s Business Development & Sales group is responsible for helping our advisor and institutional clients build their businesses and provide better outcomes for investors. The group is structured primarily along the following client segments: advisors, asset management, institutional consultants, academics, pensions and hedge funds.
In the Sales Development Representative role, you will represent Morningstar`s software, tools, or services to the appropriate individual, advisor, or institutional clients. Our SDRs are the first point of contact for the vast majority of our new business opportunities. As an SDR, you’ll run a high volume of outreach, make connections with decision-makers at companies that fit our ideal customer profile, and generate new business opportunities for our Regional Sales team. A successful Sales Development Representative embraces challenges and change, considers themselves a people person, and has a natural curiosity to learn about others and their needs. This is a role that makes a direct and significant impact in our business, working closely with the product development, marketing, and other sales teams for the solutions you represent.
The SDR role provides boundless opportunities for both personal and professional growth. The SDR team serves as a launchpad to accelerate your sales career at Morningstar. For those dedicated to exceed expectations, career paths at Morningstar are endless. Every department at Morningstar has representation from former Direct to Advisor sales team representatives. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Act as the engine of our sales team, revving up and warming up prospects to be shared with our regional sales team;
• Work with a strong sense of urgency, which translates into activity with the expectation of making 50 calls per day;
• Ask thorough and pointed questions, guiding potential clients through needs assessment and discovery sessions to qualify the prospect and drive new opportunities;
• Act as consultants - our clients appreciate the value of our data and software for their needs, so we take the time to understand those needs and address them head on;
• Demonstrate extensive product knowledge to our potential client base;
• Work closely with client service, sales, product, and marketing teams.
• Have terrific prioritization skills - we generate a LOT of prospects for the team to work with every month, and this team knows how to identify and go after the key customers;
• Are stellar and professional communicators, both verbally and in their written works;
• Possess strong negotiation skills and can effectively advance prospects through the sales cycle;
• Are self-motivated and dedicated to succeed;
• Love to meet and exceed goals on a daily, weekly and monthly basis;
• Are team players with entrepreneurial spirits - they come up with and are willing to try new ideas to achieve greater levels of success;
• Are interested in financial markets or services, particularly investing
• Generally have at least one (1) years of professional work experience, ideally in some sort of sales role;
• Have positive, focused, goal - oriented attitudes and mentalities and can be motivated both as an individual and as part of a team;
• A bachelor’s degree is required.