SALES DIRECTOR, WHOLESALE at Modern Sprout
SALES DIRECTOR, WHOLESALE
Modern Sprout LLC (MS) is a Chicago-based design shop and manufacturer that launched via Kickstarter in 2013 and has become a leader in the grow-your-own movement with its innovative indoor and outdoor garden-focused lifestyle goods. The genius behind the brand is translating the logic and utility of hydroponic growing systems into simple, stylish and sustainable products that thrive inside the average home. MS’s collection of thoughtfully packaged products has introduced a new and highly sought after category to home and gift retailers across the continent – gifts that grow. Its products resonate with a diverse audience, from city dwelling millennials to suburban moms to rural residents. Media has taken notice too; MS’s products have been selected as one of Oprah’s Favorite Things twice, featured on the Today Show, and covered by numerous other print and online publications including Food & Wine, Real Simple, Clean Eating and more.
Currently, Modern Sprout can be found on the shelves national retailers such as Target, Crate & Barrel, Nordstrom, Anthropologie, and at over 1200 independent retailers across the country. MS has experienced explosive growth over the past two years, and is excited to hire its first Sales Director to manage wholesale distribution and sales.
Modern Sprout is seeking a bright, energetic and highly motivated individual to oversee all wholesale sales initiatives, from managing and growing existing customer relationships to procuring new accounts and identifying new sales channels. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a hands-on, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and has proven experience in the consumer products space, preferably in the home/gift/lifestyle sector.
- Develop, forecast and manage and annual sales plan and budget.
- Execute a strategic action plan to achieve MS’s volume and margin objectives across all product collections.
- Track weekly and monthly sales goals, maintain metrics and monthly reporting of accounts.
- Direct, incentivize and monitor external regional sales teams. Identify and evaluate efficiencies and grievances to determine how to best optimize sales force (which might include a reorganization of internal and external staff).
- Nurture relationships with key accounts through whatever means possible, including communication about brand performance, category analysis, in-person visits, etc. Stay on top of buying timelines and lead team in concepting and pitching custom programs that align with account’s merchandising needs and exceed their design expectations.
- Identify opportunities for growth in new markets with industry-specific strategies and work to secure new high volume accounts.
- Segment customers and develop/implement segment-specific strategies to maximize the potential of our diverse account portfolio.
- Travel for and lead sales floor at tradeshows (currently 4x/yr, but will potentially grow), and support external sales teams at their tradeshows as needed (6-8 /yr)
- Work closely with a tight-knit and scrappy team, including company co-founders and product development, marketing/design and operations departments.
- Conceptualize ongoing marketing programs and materials and work with marketing/design to execute initiatives.
- Monitor competitive trends and emerging needs in the marketplace.
- Collaborate with creative team to develop visual merchandising/POP display to elevate brand presence and sell-through success.
- Help develop a B2B web portal to streamline ordering process
- Work closely with operations and logistics to ensure that orders are processed correctly and on time.
- Provide insight, feedback and direction to product development teams to improve upon existing lines and inform new product development.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- 5+ years experience. Experience in the Home and Gift category is a major plus
- Wholesale experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree is required. MBA desirable but not mandatory
- Demonstrated self-starter with strong organizational skills
- Strong critical thinking, research and analysis skills
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment and understands that comes with ambiguity
- Proven track record of sales success in a similar role
- Proven success in all areas of the sales cycle including prospecting, building relationships, negotiating and selling
- Exceptional communicator and compelling presenter with strong negotiation skills
- Is eager work in a cross-functional team, liaising with all company departments
- CRM Expertise
- Strategic planning and P&L management experience
- Green thumb is a major plus
- Full-time, salaried. Competitive compensation based off experience.
- Modern Sprout offers a unique benefits package including medical and vision insurance plus flexible hours and unlimited paid vacation time to managers.
To learn more about Modern Sprout and its collection of products, please visit modsprout.com or follow the company on Facebook and Instagram.