Ocient is searching for a Sales Database Engineer who will work directly on client engagements and will act as a technical liaison between Sales and L2/L3 support. This person will perform most of the technical activities required to successfully execute customer PoC's and will work with the Principal Solutions Architect to:
- Gather a client's business, technical, and financial requirements
- Architect and propose solutions that meet the client's requirements
- Assist with building and maintaining the Proof of Concept environments including installation and configuration of the infrastructure, network, database, and software
- Design, develop, and maintain ETL, Cleansing, Matching, and De-duplication workflows between source data (e.g. .csv, .orc, JSON, Parquet, Avro, other DBMS) and targets (e.g. Kafka, Enterprise Data Warehouse)
- Create schemas and the associated Database objects, load data into the tables, run and tune queries, document any requirements that arise from customer engagements, and communicate status to Sales and Development leadership
- Provide new product education to Sales
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of industry trends, common customer expectations, competitive benchmarks, and competitive products
- Create and nurture relationships with customer technical contacts as required by Sales
Note: This is an Engineering role and not a Consultant role. The candidate will be responsible for installing, deploying and supporting all Database activities associated with Proof of Concepts for the largest Enterprise customers.
Reporting To: Vice President of Worldwide Sales
Positions Supervised: None
Classification: Full Time
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or related technical field
- Strong relational database skills
- Strong customer facing skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with sales, development, and product management.
- 6+ years of experience working with Enterprise databases in a Production environment which may include: SQL Database administration, SQL query monitoring and tuning, Database schema design, creating ETL/CDC processes, establishing Database best practices around security, data governance, HA/DR, GDPR practices
- 6+ years designing, building, and deploying to production Enterprise ETL/CDC jobs that source data from high volume semi-structured log data (.csv, JSON) and OLTP RDBMS transactional systems, developing and applying rules from a rules engine against the data, performing complex transformations on the data to relational format, and writing the relational data to an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) or Stream Processing platform
- 3+ years building and deploying Kafka data pipelines in production
- 3+ years developing analytics solutions against an Enterprise Database including using Reporting and Dashboard solutions (Tableau, Looker, Kibana, Grafana, etc.)
- Experience working with Financial Market data is a plus
Ocient is a Chicago-based, venture-funded startup building a SQL compliant, exabyte-scale database platform that achieves better performance than Hadoop and NoSQL systems. It is a distributed system optimized for NVMe drives, RDMA networks and high core count processors and is written in C++. We are led by a management team with seven successful startup exits, including Cleversafe which was the largest software startup exit in Chicago's history.