Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
- Discover Home Loans is the #1 lender of closed-end second mortgages, according to 2019 HMDA data on total number of funded loans which is available at FFIEC Home Mortgage Disclosure Act website.
- Discover Home Loans is the top lender in the U.S. for closed-end second mortgages, based on 2019 HMDA data for total number of funded loans, available at FFIEC Home Mortgage Disclosure Act website.
- Discover Home Loans helped more homeowners get a closed-end second mortgage than any other lender in 2019, according to HMDA data on total number of funded loans which is available at FFIEC Home Mortgage Disclosure Act website
Responsible for reviewing, analyzing, underwriting, evaluating, and approving and denying consumer mortgage residential applications in accordance with company guidelines, business and credit standards, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintains company service levels and turn-time standards.
- Validates loan documentation against product criteria.
- Provides excellent customer service and partners with sales and fulfillment teams effectively Maintains confidentiality
- Partners with management and the review team to calibrate first-level decisions.
- Provides recommendations to improve the underwriting process.
- Performs income, collateral and credit reviews to make final underwriting decisions.
- Exercises good judgment and decision-making skills using a risk based approach. Utilizes resources to research unfamiliar underwriting situations and is able to present complex scenarios succinctly and with comprehensive options/solutions to leadership.
- Exhibits excellent time management. Plans and organizes effectively to prioritize daily workload to achieve volume goals.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities including cross department initiatives.
- Helps leaders drive department production & quality goals.
- Works independently and as a team member
- Ensure an attention to detail and validates the accuracy for the loan submission
- Understands Federal Regulations and Compliance guidelines
Full Time Benefits
Our comprehensive benefits package starts day one and features insurance, financial planning support and excellent perks designed to help you reach your goals and live a rich, healthy life. These include:
· Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
· Paid time off (at minimum, 20 personal days + 7 holidays per year)
· Tuition Reimbursement for eligible US based employees
· 401K with company match and fixed contribution
· Employee Stock Purchase Plan
· Full service cafeteria featuring Starbucks and subsidized Mindful options
· Access to fitness center
· Opportunities to volunteer in the community
· Development groups and training
· On-site Health Clinics
· Onsite Employee Assistance Program Counselors
· Discover [email protected] Family Assistance Program (Discounted childcare at participating centers, free care.com membership, and subsidized Backup Care Services)
· Perks at Work (access discounts from over 30,000 merchants, earning WOWPoints while you shop)
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- High School Diploma or GED
- 4+ years of experience of manual underwriting of mortgage loan submissions with complete responsibility to decision all components/documentation of the loan file
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
Manual underwriting includes all of the following:
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and underwrite all complex senior level loan submissions including all types of self-employed borrowers, all corporate tax returns, rental income and all variable income types
- Review of Title Reports/Policies including liens, judgements, and title exceptions
- Review of all appraisal types including PCR-Property Condition Report; AVM-Automated Valuation Model; DVI-Desktop Valuation with Inspection; Fannie Mae Form 1004MC or Freddie Mac Form 70; 2055i-Single Family Residential Appraisal ; 1075-Condo Residential Appraisal
- Review of all other documentation included in a loan submission including review of Homeowners and Flood Insurance policies.
· Associate's Degree
· Adapts to change easily
· Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to continue learning through subsequent files and demonstrated advanced business acumen
· Demonstrates ability to share business acumen with other team members to support overall learning and development of department
· Ability to work in fast paced environment
· Utilizes Microsoft Office Suite tools and Loan Origination Platforms
· 3-5 years Mortgage or Home Equity Underwriting experience AND 3-5 years in other Mortgage or Home Equity lending/banking experience
· Extensive experience and demonstrated ability to analyze and underwrite complex senior level loan submissions including self-employed borrowers, rental properties, variable income, and all property valuation types.
· Demonstrated ability to consistently meet or exceed quality and productivity metrics
· Ability to navigate and understand basic mortgage industry LOS software
· Proficiency in math
· A quiet workspace (no background noises that can hinder customer interactions)
· Internet service with a minimum speed of 5mbps
· Personal smartphone or a tablet
Individuals in this position are required to comply with all rules and regulations of The Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (The SAFE Act). Employees hired or transferring into this position will need to meet the qualification requirements, in DISCOVER FINANCIAL SERVICES sole discretion, under Reg. Z, prior to acting as a loan originator in any capacity, with access to consumer credit transactions secured by a dwelling. Qualification requirements include but are not limited to an assessment of overall financial responsibility, character, and general fitness through review of a criminal background check, credit report, and information about any administrative, civil, or criminal findings by any government jurisdiction.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.