Underwriter Coach at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
What You’ll Do
· Acts as a resource to the Discover Home Loans underwriting team members
· Answers questions regarding interpretation of the Loan Production Guides
· Shares underwriting knowledge and helps others learn
· Incorporates industry norms and demonstrates good judgement in the absence of clear guidelines
· Makes sound underwriting decisions, evaluates risk and provides regular coaching to all agents by identifying areas or topics that additional instruction is needed or if quality improvement is needed
· Shares feedback with the Team Leads and Area Managers on the ability of each underwriter and performs re-underwriting reviews of a sample of loans on a regular basis to ensure the competency of each Underwriter
· Assigns work, identifies gaps in the LPG and makes recommendations for improvement
· Participates in the system release discussions and assist the trainer as necessary
How You’ll Do It
· Acts as a resource to the underwriting team members, answers questions regarding the interpretation of the Loan Production Guides. Shares underwriting knowledge in a positive and proactive manner. Must be able to help others learn and can incorporate industry norms and demonstrate good judgement in the absence of clear guidelines. Must be able to make sound underwriting decisions, and evaluate risks presented in the loan application and documentation. Provides regular coaching to all agents by identifying areas or topics that where additional instruction is needed or if quality improvement is needed. This is accomplished by sharing the location of resources such as procedures, job aids and guidelines to the underwriter applicable to the are/topic of discussion and demonstrating the proper way to perform the task.
· Shares feedback with Team Leads and Area Managers on the ability of each underwriter while demonstrating confidentiality. Performs re-underwriting reviews of a sample of loans decisioned by each underwriter on an as needed basis.
· Must demonstrate the ability to multitask and complete other duties assigned: such as assigning files, identifying Gaps in LPG and make recommendations for improvement, researching and responding to quality review team results, identifying and escalate any LOS system problems, and participating in system release discussions and assist the trainer as necessary.
Qualifications You’ll Need
· H.S. Diploma or GED
· 4+ years Mortgage or Home Equity Underwriting experience
· 4+ years other Mortgage or Home Equity Lending/banking experience
· 1+ years Demonstrated ability to share mortgage industry knowledge
Bonus Points If You Have
· Associate’s Degree in Finance
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.