Vice President of Sales
Title: Vice President of Sales
The Vice President Sales will be responsible for opening up new business and expanding existing relationships for SMS Assist accounts in one of the following multi-site market segments:
- Restaurants: Casual dining and quick service restaurants (QSR).
- Retail: Big box, small box, convenience stores and grocery chains.
- Public Sector: Various large multi-site agencies.
- Multi-Site General: May include telecommunications stores (wireless), religious, other categories that operate large volumes of sites.
(Given the scale of SMS Assist’s service offerings, the more locations the target client has the better)
Vice President Sales is a hands-on role for an experienced sales executive. This position is currently an individual contributor role reporting directly to the Chief Revenue Officer. Ultimately this position could take on subordinates as the organization grows. This individual will interface heavily with both clients and the Sales Team to grow the business.
Targeted year one quotas will be in the $10-12 million bookings range. Given the large average deal sizes, the successful Vice President Sales will have a strong history of selling to senior level executives in large complex organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver Revenue: Responsible for selling the full outsourced solution into the C-Suite or an “a la carte” single line of business to procurement. In addition, this position is responsible for generating revenue from base business organic growth, as well as from referrals.
- Maintain Customer Relationships: Maintain and foster existing customer relationships via face-to-face appointments, phone conversations, and emails. Maintain ongoing communication with customers to understand their needs and provide solutions. Possess a thorough understanding of the customer’s structure and leadership, with the ability to influence key decision makers. Demonstrate solution and value proposition and deal with customer issues, questions, and uncertainties. Identify and deliver on any opportunities to increase SMS Assist’s suite of offerings to existing customers.
- Manage Install base – Maintain relationships with the current install base and look to expand services in each account.
- Keep Current on Industry/Customer Data: Maintain up-to-date, detailed customer knowledge and industry data. Read and research all relevant trade and industry materials, publications, news, etc. Serve as an active member of groups and associations related to the industry and relevant customers. Must be a ‘student’ of the Facilities, retail, and other related industries. Must maintain current knowledge of trends and competitive activity impacting existing and potential customers.
- Participate in Pipeline Management: Responsible for updating all sales initiatives by category, customer and status in salesforce.com. Utilize reporting to gain an understanding of which prospects are in various stages of the selling process. Use appropriate selling strategies and techniques to engage clients at all stages of the pipeline, and identify and address any weaknesses in the strategy.
- Operate within the Organization’s Financial, Legal, and Ethical Policies: Responsible for driving the growth of revenue and profit originating from the Sales department. Manage the Sales P/L.
Required Background and Experience
- Experience selling large deals ($3M plus) to senior level executives in large complex organizations.
- Demonstrated expertise and track record of success in selling complex solutions to one of SMS Assist’s key market segments (restaurants, retail, telecommunications, public sector, multi-site general) with a high volume of remote locations.
- At least 8 years of sales experience and a minimum of 5 years of complex sales, ideally in technology or services. Experience selling a national outsourcing platform is a plus. Value based technology solution selling is also a big plus.
- Strong sales process and sales pipeline orientation, including effective use of CRM systems such as Salesforce.com.
- “Take charge and deliver” type of personality who can learn the business, institutionalize best practices and deliver results.
- Must welcome responsibility, challenge and decision making.
- A strategic thinker who can contribute to a sales strategy while also being tactical and hands-on in the roll-out of operational initiatives.
- Superior presence, confidence and communications skills. Also tremendous intelligence, passion and drive.
- Team player with a track record of building productive working relationships focused on delighting clients.
- Strong quantitative, analytical and forecasting skills.
- Undergraduate degree is required. MBA is desirable.
Management Abilities and Executive Presence
Team Oriented: Prior experience as a sales executive and part of a high performing team. Must have a strong proactive team orientation.
- Intellectual Horsepower: Has the mental capacity and emotional maturity to step into the organization and learn the subtleties and nuances of SMS Assist’s business, thereby allowing him/her to develop the appropriate activities to be successful.
- Proven On-The-Job Performance: Has a proven technical and business track record of sales execution and delivering meaningful results.
- Superior Presence: Capable of making informative and persuasive presentations internally to executive, peer and junior level employees, as well as to current and future customers.
Personal Attributes and Character Strengths
- Tough: Ability to work with and influence powerful, strong-willed Founder & CEO.
- Entrepreneurial: Understands the demands of a private, emerging growth company.
- Strong Leader: Action oriented and leads by example.
- Smart: Dynamic, aggressive and strategic.
- Decision Maker: Analytical thinker who can make swift decisions, adapt to changes while staying the course and delivering results.
- Collaborative: Ability to work closely with executive team to execute direct sales strategies and programs.
- Role Model: Charismatic executive with ability to create a positive work environment.
- Self-Driven: Past behaviors demonstrate a passionate, trustworthy and self-driven character.
- Hardworking: Works all hours needed to get the job done including efficient use of time.
- A Consistent Winner: Always finds a way to win and achieve set objectives and milestones, through execution, experimentation and adaptation, all within the highest ethical and business standards.
- Innovator: The successful candidate will have the ability to innovate effectively and react real-time to changes in technology, client demands, and the economy.
- Great References: Valued highly by others having the ability to provide verifiable personal and professional references substantiating historical performance and achievement.
Key Performance Indicators for Success
- Aggressive growth in top line sales.
- Increase in number of national multi-site client locations served.
- Accurate and reliable sales forecasting and reporting.
- This is a full time, exempt position.
- Travel requirements: Domestic travel upwards of 30%.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.