We all depend on healthcare throughout our lifetimes, for ourselves, our families, and our friends, and know it is notoriously difficult to navigate and understand. As an industry that comprises 20% of the US economy, we think healthcare should work better for all of us. At Collective Health we believe health benefits should be simple, accessible, and technology-driven. Moreover, we believe healthcare should be grounded by the people that it serves. Our mission is to make understanding, navigating, and paying for care effortless.
We deliver a connected healthcare experience for over 200,000 members and 45+ companies across the nation who want the best for their employees. If you want to make a difference in the healthcare of those around you, join us.
About the work
Our Infrastructure Engineers are experts of web technologies and use their experience to improve our developer and user experiences through architecture, automation, and tooling. To do this successfully, our infrastructure engineers work on both frontend and backend systems, local machines, CI, and everything in between. As an Infrastructure Engineer you’ll work with engineers from all of our teams and determine what you can do to continuously make their lives better.
As an example of what you’ll be doing, here are some activities typical to our infrastructure engineers:
- Design and development of CDN deployment tooling for all of our frontends, both internal and external facing
- Development and maintenance of our Node.JS microservice base app which powers nearly 10% of our backend services
- Regular company-wide upgrades of dependencies like Ubuntu for our build containers and Node.JS for our microservice runtime and local development needs
- Campaign for the adoption of open-source tools across all frontends for better consistency and to improve our ability to work on all frontends without a learning curve
- Adopt tools which improve our ability to determine code coverage, performance, bundle size and other metrics which directly impact our user experience
- Monitor team-owned frontends and backends as part of our on-call rotation to ensure they’re always performing well, and fix any issues which reduce availability
- Participate in architecture discussions with engineers from every team and be able to provide meaningful feedback and constructive criticism with tact
You’ll be working with an empathetic and collaborative team that is excited to answer your questions and share their wisdom with you. We expect you to do the same.
We’re looking for an experienced candidate who’s done this work before in a professional setting. You won’t be able to answer all of our questions or know how all of our systems work in your first week, and we don’t expect you to. If you haven’t used all of our stack before, that’s fine. You’ll learn on the job and get up to speed quickly.
We don’t have specific requirements on years of experience or degrees because we care more about what you can do, and how you do it. Some members of our team have CS degrees, others are self-taught, have unrelated degrees or graduated from a coding bootcamp. At Collective Health, we believe diversity in background is just one of many forms of diversity that make for a strong team. What we want is leadership, ownership, and accountability.
We value people who are team-oriented, who constantly learn and more importantly, constantly teach. Above all, we want you to help us improve consistently over time.
We pay 100% of employee premiums for medical, dental, and vision plans. We also offer flexible time off, life insurance, a retirement plan, and plenty of perks to keep you happy, healthy, and engaged. You can read more about our benefits on our jobs page.
How to join
Please send us your resume with a cover letter that speaks directly to this position. Tell us how you can contribute to Collective Health’s mission and what you’d like from us for your future. You’re looking to be a colleague of ours, so speak to us like one. We want to know how you’d work with us.
After we receive your application, we’ll get on a call with you to answer any high level questions you may have and explain the next steps. We like to move fast. Our interviews are short and structured so that it’s a valuable use of your time. We’ll talk about your background, how you approach your work, write some code to solve a problem, design a product architecture, and tell you all about Collective Health. We don’t set up a whiteboard or ask you any brainteasers. We want you to pass each of our interviews and will help you do so. Our goal is to learn what it would be like to work with you, and since we collaborate as a team at work, that’s what we’ll be doing in the interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.