Braintree builds products that make payments easier—so easy that they fade into the background, making entirely new kinds of interactions possible. We're known for our technology but we're also known for our support, with internal risk and underwriting, account management and technical support teams who ensure a frictionless payments experience.
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
Check us out: GitHub | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | The Muse | Glassdoor
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department – developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
Site Reliability Engineering keeps our lights on, keeps our technology humming and is essential to our ongoing evolution and growth. These engineers use their knowledge of technology and operational best practices to deliver an experience that drives available, scalable and reliable customer experiences.
These folks help create, develop and manage the deployment architecture for the application, develop the monitoring architecture and implement monitoring agents, dashboards, escalations and alerts. These technical investigators create playbooks and stakeholder communication mechanisms, oversee change management and configuration management to bring improvements and efficiencies across Braintree.
As a member of the team, you’ll face interesting and challenging problems as we take our software to the next level of scale and sustainability. You’ll be the tactical “feet on the streets” as we watch and monitor what’s happening in the business, day-to-day.
- Evaluate and track application performance, metrics, and availability
- Monitor data center hardware, networking, and software platforms
- Build and maintain alerting tools and metrics
- React to system inefficiencies and resolve issues quickly to ensure system availability and performance
- Coordinate engineering, customer support, and external communications
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Knowledge of Linux internals and command-line tools
- Familiarity with basic networking concepts - TCP, UDP, ping, traceroute, and the Linux network stack
- Troubleshooting experience tracking down performance, load, networking, I/O utilization, and memory problems
- Experience with monitoring and metrics tools - Nagios, Graphite, New Relic, etc.
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.