Established in 1998, Cars.com is one of Chicago’s original tech companies. Our online platform makes it easier for consumers to shop for, sell and service their cars.
With our expert content, mobile app features, millions of new and used vehicle listings, a comprehensive set of research tools and the largest database of consumer reviews in the industry, Cars.com offers innovative products to connect consumers with dealers across the country.
Change is in our DNA, and 2016 was no exception! Last year we announced our move to a new Chicago HQ and the acquisition of DealerRater, the largest online ratings platform for car dealerships. And in 2017, we’ll become a free-standing, publicly traded company!
A true constant through the years has been the incredible culture we've created. Our employees have cultivated an environment leveraging technology, fostering innovation and embracing collaboration. We take pride in how Cars.com empowers our people to win and gain valuable experiences along the way!
Cars.com is seeking an experienced Technical Product Owner of data that will work with various teams across the Cars.com organization to design, build and enhance and aid in development of new product offerings.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality.
- Own the vision of how to use the data to achieve strategic objectives and create new opportunities.
- Partner with various business units within Cars.com (e.g., IT, Marketing, Sales, Finance, etc.) to understand the strategic direction and develop ideas on how to accomplish those objectives by applying new ideas based on your industry experience and your contact with customers.
- Retain a high level of creativity and energy that can be channeled into a disciplined focus to innovate and ensure long-term growth for Cars.com.
- Improve and streamline processes and systems regarding data flow and data quality to improve data accuracy, usability and value
- Perform industry trend analysis, including active monitoring of external influencing factors.
- Ability to understand and integrate various external data sources to complete a full story related to vehicle data and supporting information that benefit Cars.com consumers.
- Aid in the evaluation of data accuracy, completeness, timeliness and stability of Cars.com data sets. Identify new data opportunities. Serve as the vehicle data SME within Cars.com.
- Ability to identify potential new sources of information that could be leverage by Cars.com in driving increased website traffic, enhancing its current product offerings and identify potential new opportunities.
- Ability to communicate findings to make analysis actionable and understandable by business partners, including IT and analytics teams.
- Ability to influence strategic business decisions regarding technology. Ensure that Cars.com business needs are understood and offer solution that will meet those needs.
- Ability to determine minimum viable product to achieve business value, and identify risks and constraints
- Ability to self-motivate, set goals, prioritizes and meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key business partners by building personal credibility and trust.
- Ability to think strategically, leveraging the use of Analytics, Machine Learning, or Consumer Data to increase to increase usage and monetization of Cars.com data.
- 8+ years of experience working in the data space, 2+ years as a Data Product Owner role.
- 3+ years’ experience working with 3rd party data providers with respect to evaluating and integrating potential new data sources.
- Solid understanding data architecture, structures and principles with the ability to critique data and system designs.
- Experience working on an Agile team leading backlog grooming and sprint planning, building user stories, acceptance criteria, and ensuring the timely delivery and quality of implemented components.
- Working knowledge of product development system & software engineering principles.
- Demonstrated experience delivering results in roles with progressively increasing responsibility.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills paired with the ability to develop creative and efficient solutions.
- Understanding of Automotive Data Space or Dealer Management Systems (DMS) is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university.