closerlook's Writing Director, with the Art Director, leads the creative development and execution of campaigns and individual projects at closerlook and is responsible for the overall quality of the work. The Writing Director position is equivalent to the Associate Creative Director role at a large agency. The Writing Director works with the Art Director to lead the creative team and present creative work to clients. The Writing Director is a player–coach role that is about 40 percent writing and 60 percent editorial review of the work created by Copywriters and Designers. The Writing Director reports to the Associate Creative Director. The Writing Director is responsible for directing and mentoring junior creatives, but will not have any management responsibilities at this time.
- Demonstrates ability to understand the role of strategy and make decisions that are sound both creatively and strategically.
- Participates in and/or lead internal and client-facing creative meetings, facilitating both clients and agency personnel through the feedback process.
- Works with Copywriters to develop their skills through effective direction, mentoring and development of skills.
- Develops staff and delegate responsibilities to free himself/herself to assist with multiple client engagements.
- Assists the Creative Director and the Senior Writing Director in the supervision and resource management of Copywriters, Medical Writers, Editors and Proofreaders, both full time and freelance.
- Leads the effort to establish, enforce and evolve Writing Competency best practices at closerlook. These best practices should include, but are not necessarily limited to, the creative process, file-naming standards, the proofreading process, verbal style standards and copywriting templates.
- Contributes to creative concept and treatment development for marketing campaigns.
- Communicates actively with project team to keep job and deliverables on track and on schedule. Deliverables may include long form, short form, interactive and script writing, as well as naming and tagline development.
- Supports new business pursuits by organizing and contributing to presentations, writing and reviewing presentation decks, advising clients, etc.
- Helps to build strong client relationships based on flawless, on-time, and on-budget delivery of creative work that drives results, and leadership of a creative process that clearly demonstrates its value to clients.
- Is a graduate of a college or a university with a degree in English, journalism, communications or a related field.
- At least seven years of experience as a marketing Copywriter and/or an Associate Creative Director.
- Demonstrates careful attention to detail as a Copywriter, Copyeditor and Proofreader.
- Has demonstrable mastery of English-language style and mechanics.
- Demonstrates ability to write for, and direct writing for, digital, interactive and motion projects.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze problems, anticipate consequences and eliminate obstacles to successfully complete projects.
- Has made the transition from primarily task-oriented work to team leadership, strategic thinking and client-relationship building.
- Exhibits a high level of creative and problem-solving skills.
- Has experience leading and/or mentoring junior creatives.
- Has a digital portfolio that includes business-to-business pieces, interactive work, some long-form work and a creative concept brought to life across a campaign.
- Experience in healthcare, specifically pharmaceuticals, is a plus.
- Please include work samples or a link to a digital portfolio
- Applicants without a portfolio or work samples will not be considered