Arity-Data Scientist - Telematics
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
At Arity, our Analytics team is at the core of helping us transform mobility. They not only know how to analyze and find meaning within the data, but are passionate about how it affects the end-users of our products. They work with a treasure trove of massive data sets every day-after all, Arity is constantly collecting and deciphering billions of miles of driving data. And as our data continues to grow by the second, our Analytics teammates grow right alongside it. We give them the opportunity to model and visualize that data to create innovative products, working side-by-side with our diverse product teams. The insights uncovered by the Analytics team help catalyze groundbreaking solutions for our customers and are a driving force in making transportation smarter, safer, and more useful for everyone. Personally, we think that's pretty game-changing stuff.
This role is responsible for developing benchmarks and measuring the performance of our algorithms and telematics products. An ideal candidate should be a team player with proven success in using statistics and data visualization to generate insights from large datasets. The role includes: analyzing millions of trips a day to identify areas for improvement in our current mobile application, measuring performance of current algorithms and machine learning models, developing algorithms to improve detection of driving trips, and the coding of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions. An ideal candidate should be a team player with proven success in using statistics and data visualization to generate insights from large datasets. The candidate should be passionate about discovering patterns and playing with data and summarizing and presenting results to stakeholders.
- Conducting data extraction and statistical analytics to track model performance and benchmark competitive solutions
- Using best practices to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models that address business needs
- Learning a variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Hadoop)
- Performing ad-hoc analyses to support critical and time-sensitive market and business decisions
- Collaborating with the team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling
- Executing with guidance on modeling/machine learning projects effectively
- Communicating findings to team and frontline leadership, and ensuring models are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Working with leaders to ensure the project will meet their needs
- Maximizing personal professional development to ensure continuation of a personal contribution to the team and Arity
- Degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance or economics
- Master's or PhD preferred in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance or economics
- Strong analytical skills to answer questions with data
- Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts
- Advanced technology fluency in tools and software/programming languages with key analytic applications (Python/R, Jupyter Notebooks, AWS Quicksight/Tableau)
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Aptitude for analytics agility. The ability to quickly learn and switch topics.
- Optional: Experience with geospatial analysis, telematics data, project management
- Optional: Experience with Linux, Spark, and HDFS
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That’s more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.
Arity.com Instagram Twitter LinkedIn
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment