Arity-Sr. Research Manager
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
Made up of design leads, experience designers, content designers, design researchers, UI engineers, and visual designers, our Experience Designer Team works collaboratively across departments to capture the emotions and needs of our end users – which are reflected in all the ways they experience Arity and our products. Using a lean and agile approach, our XD team works across areas focused on driving data visualization, driving behavior analysis, urban planning, and shared mobility. They meet each project with deep empathy in order to craft useful and usable interface design solutions. Together, we design experiences that have real impact on the personal transportation industry and its future. Are you ready for the challenge?
The Research Manager will be responsible for leading and advancing the research activities at Arity from within the Experience Design organization. The person in this role will lead a team of Design Researchers and Competitive Intelligence Researchers, and also coordinate market insights research efforts.
In addition to leading the team, the Research Manager will manage the overall roadmap for all research needed for Arity products. They will also manage relationships with external vendors, shared resources, and software/SAAS providers as it pertains to research activities.
This Leader will collaborate with key executive stakeholders, product designers, XD leadership, product managers, developers, data scientists, behavioral scientists, product marketing and end-users to help them define, design, and carry-out the research needed to build great products.
The Arity Experience Design (XD) team is a multi-disciplinary group that designs user interactions and experiences with devices, systems and services that provide a positive, engaging and productive experience. The team is made up of Design Leads, Experience Designers, Content Designers, Design Researchers, UI Engineers, and Visual Designers who work together to design delightful experiences.
The XD team is responsible for applying knowledge of user-centered design methods, human-computer interaction and industry best practices to drive useful and usable interface design solutions.
- Build a coherent single group from the three single teams of design (UX) research, competitive intelligence research, and market insights research (shared services team; not direct reports)
- Coordinate with Behavioral Science team to create and maintain alignment of research efforts
- Outline a master plan and roadmap for ongoing research activities at Arity
- Work with team to define research's vision, mission, and objectives that are aligned with the roadmap and business goals
- Share research expertise with other team members to build a common high-level understanding of its methods and values
- General Management & Decision Making
- Represent research within Experience Design, Marketing and Arity
- Bring together resources and people to meet strategic goals in alignment with the business objectives of the organization
- Provide day-to-day leadership and operational management for Research
- Works closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization
- Creates and leads department/corporate initiatives that bring value to the business
- Initiate and implement continuous improvements in all areas of Research
- Build long-term relationships within direct reports/team by creating an environment of safety:
- Champion open and honest communication
- Respect confidentiality
- Lead with integrity
- Execute the employee management process and develop staff through coaching and mentoring and providing specific, timely, open, honest, and constructive performance feedback
- Create an environment of accountability
- Establish vision, direction, and specific objectives for direct report efforts; allow freedom to accomplish objectives
- Collect direct report performance data against desired outcomes and service level agreements
- Extensive experience partnering with or leading multiple research disciplines
- Extensive experience with design research, lean UX methods, design thinking, and ideation methods
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams through growth, change and ambiguity
- Facility with frameworks to organize research findings and provide decision framing for different stakeholder audiences
- Skillful session facilitation, and clarity in communicating research plans, methods and outcomes
- Demonstrated mastery with moderated and remote unmoderated usability testing, A/B testing, cognitive walkthroughs, task and workflow analysis, discovery research, and gathering qualitative and quantitative measures using design artifacts at any level of fidelity
- Excellent communication skills, including storytelling, writing, and presentation
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a behavioral research function; interdisciplinary design and research background is a plus.
- Experience being integrated with a multidisciplinary product team is preferred
- 4-year degree (Master's preferred) in Human Factors/Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental/Social Psychology, Cognitive Science, Sociology, or related field
- Experience/familiarity with analytics tools, recruiting tools, user testing tools (including remote), survey tools
- Arity Designers care about making transportation safer, smarter and more useful for everyone.
- We create collaboratively and think flexibly, partnering with product, engineering, data science, marketing, and each other
- We are naturally curious, empathetic, humble and passionate about human-centered design. Arity trains XD team members in a set of design methods to create a common approach and shared vocabulary
- Arity Designers handle and enjoy projects from huge initiatives to simple requests, and we always give our best to our work
- We work within a variety of methodologies and processes, and help to improve upon them
- We are organized and able to manage personal and project timetables
- Arity Designers are engaging and effective communicators of ideas
- We keep up-to-date in our respective fields by monitoring trends, attending workshops and conferences, joining professional groups, and sharing our craft and successes
- We are curious about each other's disciplines and have the opportunity to learn outside of our specialties
- We inspire others with our enthusiasm and work ethic.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That’s more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.
Arity.com Instagram Twitter LinkedIn
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment