Business Intelligence Developer
We are looking for an experienced BI Developer to help us enable data-driven decision making through the creation and support of a suite of reports!The Financial technology space "Fintech" is booming and Guaranteed Rate is at the center of it. We are growing like crazy, and are one of the most successful Chicago startups. We are focused on automating the mortgage process for consumers. Imagine getting a mortgage with no email, no faxing, no stack of papers in 10 days or less instead of 40 or more! If you have been through the process of buying a home you know how amazing this will be. We are the #8 lender in the country and one of only 2 that is independent (not a bank) so we are in a good spot to win this race. We have already made tremendous strides and we are looking for someone who wants to help us finish the job and disrupt the entire industry.Who is GR?Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
So what do we want from you?Guaranteed Rate is looking for a high-energy BI Developer who will be accountable for maintaining and improving an MS SQL infrastructure that backs a suite of applications and microservices. Your work with Guaranteed Rate will be two-fold:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
- Oh and did we mention you get a big fat employee discount on the origination fees to get a new mortgage or refinance thru Guaranteed Rate?
You are ambitious, disciplined, and can help propel Guaranteed Rate into the next phase of our data-driven growth!A few things we're looking for:
- Consolidate & optimize database architectures and their dependent reporting & application suites
- Master through implementation: data modeling, profiling, DB security best practices
- Field & deliver feature requests for Reporting & Analytics, Data Warehousing, and for support of Application Developers.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Work with business stakeholders to understand needs and gather requirements
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain ad hoc data extracts and SSRS reports
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain Tableau/Power BI Dashboards
- Build & improve ETL workflows using SSIS
- Write relational and multidimensional database queries
- Write and optimize stored procedures
- Work with data engineers to ensure availability of required data for queries/procedures
- Maintain and ensure data integrity and accuracy
- Consolidation, migration, and improvement of a diverse SSRS portfolio
- Strong documentation habits. You'll create and update infrastructure docs as well as use your research skills to build out legacy documentation when you see an opportunity to fill a gap
- Work closely with Software Engineers & business stakeholders to ensure data integrity and overall system health
- Participating in the full lifecycle of DW / BI implementations, taking on roles beyond that of a developer when necessary.
- Participate in testing process through unit testing and bug fixes. Troubleshoot and resolve DB server & application issues
About Guaranteed Rate…Guaranteed Rate is the eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the United States. Headquartered in Chicago, the company has approximately 195 offices across the U.S. and is licensed in all 50 states. Since its founding in 2000, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with home purchase loans and refinances and funded nearly $23 billion in loans in 2016 alone. The company has become the Home Purchase Experts® by introducing the world's first Digital Mortgage technology and offering low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Guaranteed Rate won an American Business Award for its Digital Mortgage technology in 2016, ranked No. 1 in Scotsman Guide's Top Mortgage Lenders 2015, was chosen Top Lender 2016 by Chicago Agent magazine and made the Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces list five of the past six years. Visit rate.com for more information.
- 5+ years professional experience on the MS SQL stack
- Hands-on experience with SSRS and SSIS
- Bonus points for professional experience with PostgreSQL
- Bonus points for experience with Tableau or Power BI
- Proven track record of troubleshooting and resolving database problems
- Competency troubleshooting problems in .RDL files and .DTS packages
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and performance tune SQL queries, stored procedures, functions
- Ability to identify problems, and effectively communicate solutions to peers and management
- Expert-level competency in writing T-SQL for both designing and debugging
- Experience in database design, deployment, source-control, and data modeling
- Experience with Agile methodologies (we're on Scrum!)
- Bonus points if you have mortgage industry and/or other lending or financial business experience.