Business Intelligence Lead
Who We Are
Ascent is a Chicago-based startup that closed its Series A funding round of $6M in 2018. Our engineering team is scrappy, creative, and collaborative with a “Yes, and” mentality. While we’re committed to doing great work, we also cherish having an empathetic, fun environment where everyone feels safe sharing their ideas and problem-solving together. We prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe strongly that a team with different backgrounds and perspectives produces better results.
Together, we’re solving a $64 billion global problem in regulatory compliance. Watch this video to learn more about what we do.
Who You Are
You are a proactive, analytical problem solver who can translate business questions into actionable insights. You have a passion for taking advantage of the value found in data and using it to empower the people around you.
You have experience in Business Intelligence and analytics, and you understand how important operational metrics and reports are to making good business decisions. You know how to use SQL and other analytics tools to extract data from different databases, you’re able to contextualize these datasets by understanding the business processes behind them, and you appreciate the value of well-designed dashboards that tell the story behind the data.
Additionally, you’re able to put together a broader business intelligence program, including planning proactively for future growth and building our analytics capabilities that will serve as the foundation for our decision-making. You’re good at collaborating with other teams and with our data engineers, and take pride in building high-quality analytics capabilities. You’re comfortable in a start-up environment where taking initiative is key, and you thrive on ambiguous situations with competing priorities where you can make a large positive impact.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute our Business Intelligence function at Ascent, including tools, process, and collaboration with other teams
- Work with the leadership team to define, operationalize, and report on Key Performance Indicators and metrics
- Work with functional teams across the business to enable better and faster decision-making
- Design and build effective dashboards using a BI Tool like Mode Analytics (or similar) and reports that tell clear narratives about how the business is operating
- Write SQL queries and other scripts to clean and feed data into reports
- Maintain data dictionaries of source systems to understand the flow of data between our different systems, data lake, and reporting tools
- Consult with other teams creating reports and reporting capabilities, particularly for customers
- Assist with the implementation of our broader Data Governance program and data integrity framework
- 4-5 years of business analytics experience
- Exceptional communication skills with both business and technical stakeholders
- Experience working with executive leadership to improve operational reporting
- High attention to detail and the ability to synthesize complicated datasets into clear narratives
- Highly proficient in SQL
- Proficient in designing dashboards and reports that are visually engaging and highlight actionable insights
- Experience building business intelligence capabilities from scratch
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Experience with ETL tools and setting up data pipelines
- Proficiency using Python for Data Analysis
Ascent employees enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, vision, mental health insurance – with premiums fully paid by Ascent
- 401K offered
- Unlimited PTO and Bank Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- As much RAM as you can fit in a Macbook Pro
- Professional development stipend
- Top floor office in Prudential Plaza with an amazing view of the park/lake and Pedway access
- The opportunity to work with smart people on challenging problems!