Cloud Data Engineer (entry-level)
Who We Are
Networked Insights technology helps marketers from the world’s biggest brands and agencies understand their customers, inform their media spend, invent new products, drive amazing creative campaigns and improve their targeting by providing game-changing insights no other technology company can provide.
We process 100s of terabytes of data per day using current generation technology and rapidly adopt new technologies that improve our processing performance. We heavily use cloud resources but do not limit ourselves by vendor using the best of breed products from many sources. We are a polyglot company. We try to use the best tool for the job at hand, not the tool we are most familiar with.
What You’ll Do
As a Cloud Data Engineer, you will be part of the team that is responsible for flowing data from its sources into a streaming classification and analytics pipeline. From there, our data is moved into several systems including a full text search document database, analytic database, and so-called data lake. Downstream, a variety of summaries are generated and flowed into various data stores for reporting in our data products.
As a Cloud Data Engineer at Networked Insights, you would be responsible for organizing data, addressing performance problems, making data processing systems reliable, supporting data quality, and supporting convenient access to data for both internal and external users.
Our web applications use a relational database (Postgres) for OLTP and reporting. To support these systems, you will lean on traditional data warehousing knowledge, schema design, and query authoring skills. As our systems evolve, you will need to have familiarity with newer technologies and non-traditional data stores. Successful data engineers at NI need to understand how users are using the data and thus are flexible and open to occasionally doing work that straddles the boundary between data engineering and software development.
- Organize data, including schema design and authoring ETL workflows
- Address performance problems
- Create data monitoring systems
- Redesign aging data systems
- Build systems to provide convenient access to data
- Use cloud computing resources in all aspects of work
- Participate in agile process, use JIRA to communicate and manage workflow
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field of Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 1-2 years of experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with relational databases
- Familiarity with Python or similar language
- Familiarity with POSIX systems, using console tools
- Familiarity with Cloud platforms, with a focus on their data warehousing and processing toolsets (eg., AWS, GCP, Azure, or similar)
- Familiarity with webservices
- Familiarity with microservice/service mesh architecture
- Familitarity with high-throughput data processing techniques and techonologies
- Awareness of big data compute tools
Who You Are
- You are interested in databases, big data systems, data organization for scalable systems, data modeling, and data processing systems. Interest In systems for machine learning a plus.
- You are prepared to take ownership of the role by exploring the business, discovering needs, and eventually driving your own workflow.
- You work well with others and enjoy knowing the business reasons behind why we develop a new feature or product.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills; ability to prioritize and manage competing tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
- Assertive personality geared towards results with a solid work ethic and initiative, requiring minimal direction.
- High energy and drive, coupled with resourcefulness, required to succeed in a start-up environment.
- A ferocious problem solver, capable of becoming productive quickly in an unfamiliar code base.
What You’ll Get
- Ownership and challenge in your work
- Collaborate with intelligent and highly skilled coworkers
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) and life insurance
- Generous paid time off policy, including paid parental leave
- Company Culture that is Committed to Work-Life Balance for each and every employee
- Casual office environment with a startup feel – We have a particular fondness for Peanut M&Ms
- Fantastic Downtown Location connected to the Merchandise Mart
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.