Cloud Data Platform Engineer
Become a better engineer by building things that help local businesses around the world thrive
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you are a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
We are looking for a software engineer to join our Data Platform team to support and evolve the design, implementation of our Data Lake initiative.
The Data Platform Team will:
- Research, Evangelize, Apply, Lead, Monitor cloud adoption for backend systems.
- Set architecture standards and frameworks for our Data Lake.
- Develop best practices to provide guard rails.
- Engage on projects outside of building blocks if available.
- Play an important role in ensuring Groupon's transition to Cloud is executed successfully and efficiently as possible.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Providing subject matter expertise on AWS related technologies, Terraform etc..
- Improving the Automation of data processing .
- Conceive and develop checks and bounds to provide guardrails for our engineers operating in cloud.
- You will provide input into the technical aspects of our AWS/Cloud technologies, ensuring that the platform is being used to its fullest potential through designing and building standards and frameworks around our customer’s needs
- Assist our customers and business partners with migration of their data sets.
- Work directly with our internal engineering teams to ensure that our technology infrastructure is seamlessly and effectively designed for cloud
- Provide support for AWS/Cloud related issues; Triage and fix issues reported by other teams to help with early resolution
We’re excited about you if you have:
- 5 years of industry experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- AWS Professional qualifications or equivalent experience
- Created and maintained production services in AWS using multiple services at scale using Terraform/Cloudformation/Ansible
- Experience writing code using AWS APIs with Python or Go and using AWS Config Rules.
- Clear understanding of testing methodologies and standard methodologies
- Understand the challenges of cloud around design for failure, security and cost management.
- DevOps mindset, Excellent written and oral communication skills
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with Quality: Your Production code Just Works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our employee resource groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.