About the Company
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis Analytics is looking for a Data Engineer to join our team!
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
Data Engineers at Civis are responsible for designing and implementing the processes that turn raw data into useful information. You will join the Chicago-based team, working closely and collaboratively with product managers, data scientists, and engineers to implement solutions to our data needs across products and clients. As a Data Engineer, you will develop data intensive software and work on big data processing frameworks.
You will be responsible for the continued successful delivery of data to internal and external customers. You will write software to automate processes associated with data acquisition, manipulation, and integration at a large scale. Responsibilities for this role include choosing the right technology, building the infrastructure, defining standards for the organization, and collaborating with other teams to ensure that the result has high impact for the business. You will work with other members of our team to develop solutions from prototypes to fully-realized ETL/ELT and data science workflows. This is an entry-level to mid-level position with ample opportunities for career advancement.
What's great about being an engineer at Civis? We believe in ownership of our work and continuous learning, and we run our team to reinforce those values.
We are looking for ambitious problem-solvers from diverse backgrounds. Our data engineering projects require not only excellent technical skills, but also eagerness to work collaboratively across within a cross-functional team. Civis encourages its engineers to push the boundaries of the business and help the organization imagine new possibilities. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering field, or commensurate work experience
- Experience developing successful software solutions to difficult problems
- Expertise with SQL databases
- Experience identifying data quality issues and developing QC checks and reports
- Experience in Python, bash, or another scripting language
- Familiarity with Git or other version control
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases, or distributed databases
- Interacting with RESTful APIs
- Semi-structured data in JSON or XML
- Data processing in Spark or another distributed computing framework
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Transforming and standardizing large data sets
- Media, political, geographic, and/or social networking data
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, and R)