Data Science Intern (Spring/Summer 2019)
Position: Data Scientist Intern – March, 2019, Payformance Solutions (hourly position)
Office: Chicago, IL
Why we’re excited to get to work:
The mission for Payformance Solutions is simple. We aim to be a catalyst for payment transformation in the healthcare industry. Our proprietary software solutions allow payers and providers to focus on what really matters: providing patients with access to care that yields the best health outcomes, at the lowest costs.
The healthcare industry is complex and fragmented. Payers and providers are faced with a lack of transparency and conflicting financial goals that fail to consider the health outcomes of patients. We help stakeholders plan, negotiate, operate and optimize value-based reimbursement programs by leveraging our industry-leading research and technology to develop alternative payment strategies. Our comprehensive, full-service approach ensures that your organization’s transition to value-based care accelerates smoothly with speed and flexibility while improving the quality of care.
What we are looking for:
Our team is currently looking for a data science intern to join our team. This position will help support our data analytics needs. As a data science intern, you will utilize a diverse array of technologies and tools as needed to deliver insights, such as Python, SQL, Jupyter, and other related software. You will be a contributor to the team, tasked with developing analytics models and algorithm solutions.
What you’ll do:
- Assist with data / business analytics needs
- Utilize a diverse array of technologies and tools to deliver insights: Python, R, Jupyter, Spark, Hadoop, and AWS Athena
- Analyze and model structured data, and implement algorithms to support analysis using advanced statistical and mathematical methods from statistics, machine learning, data mining, econometrics, and operations research
- Work with developers and engineers to spec out database models and determine implementation of algorithms
- Model building and testing
- Perform analysis using big data sources that provide insight and value
- Assist in creating reports and provide timely analysis
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD degree program from an accredited college/ university in quantitative fields (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Analytics, or related field)
- Proficiency with Python, SQL, and R
- Knowledge of, or willingness and aptitude to learn, healthcare and claims data
- Knowledge of building time series, spatial, or financial forecasting models for prediction
- Strong mathematical background with strong knowledge in at least one of the following fields: statistics, data mining, machine learning, statistics, operations research, econometrics, natural language processing, and/or information retrieval
- Experience in extracting, cleaning, preparing and modeling data
- Knowledge of data analytics methodologies, including distribution testing, data cleaning and transformation
- Knowledge of data visualizations, including sequence plots, histograms, heat maps, and box plots
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent quantitative skills and programming skills
- Experience working with large data sets
- Experience working with presentation software, such as D3, Tableau, and MS PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to complete work on time
Not to boast, but a little bit about us:
Payformance Solutions is a health-tech company dedicated to advancing payment transformation in the healthcare industry. We are a wholly owned subsidiary of Altarum Institute, a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization that has been servicing government and private sector clients since 1946.
Altarum Institute (Altarum) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Altarum serves the public good by solving complex systems problems to improve human health. Altarum creates and implements solutions to advance health among vulnerable and publicly-insured populations. Public sector clients include the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Agriculture, Department of Veterans Affairs, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and various state agencies nationwide. Altarum also serves clients in the philanthropic and private sectors. Areas of expertise include health data and analytics; value-based care; public health systems design, development and information exchange; behavioral health and substance use disorders; childhood and adolescent health; medical education; food and nutrition; consumer engagement; elder care; health disparities and equity; and military and veterans’ health.
At Payformance, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate, support, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our clients, and our community. Payformance Solutions is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
To all recruitment agencies: Payformance does not accept agency resumes, we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.