Data Science R&D, Research Associate
About the Company
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Civis Analytics is looking for a Data Science Research Associate to join our team!
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
As a Data Scientist focused on our data assets, you will join the Chicago-based team, working closely and collaboratively with product managers, other data scientists, consultants, and engineers to support our data needs across products and clients.
You will be at the center of Civis’ rigorous processes for transforming data into actionable insights and value for our customers. Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing perspectives and potential use cases for leveraging data and advanced analytics to improve decision making
- Deeply understanding drivers of business value in potential data use cases through user interviews and market research
- Identifying and vetting potential data sources and vendors
- Ensuring the continued successful updating of our data assets for internal and external customers
- Building proof of concepts and applying statistical tools to understand data quality
- Working with data engineers to improve and automate our internal data update processes
- Building supporting documentation and training for our data assets
- Enabling our data science, consulting, product, and engineering teams to get the most out of our data assets
This is an entry-level to mid-level position with ample opportunities for career advancement.
We are looking for ambitious problem-solvers from diverse backgrounds. Civis encourages its employees to push the boundaries of the business and help the organization imagine new possibilities. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Passion for using data and data products to drive decision making
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative or engineering field, or commensurate work experience
- Experience with SQL databases
- Experience with Python, bash, or another scripting language
- Experience identifying data quality issues and developing QC checks and reports
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Interacting with RESTful APIs
- Transforming and standardizing large data sets
- Media, political, geographic, and/or social network data
- Familiarity with Git or other version control
- Statistics and predictive modeling (For Python: pandas, scikit-learn, and the PyData stack or equivalent experience with R)