Data Scientist (Experimentation), Quantitative Research
About The Opportunity
Hungry for experimentation?
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
Grubhub is looking for a bright, curious and energetic data scientist to join the data nerds on the Quantitative Research Team at GrubHub. We have lots of interesting data which we continuously mine for insights and leverage to drive decisions. In this role, you’ll engineer, analyze and model data to inform experimentation across the organization. If you've got a penchant for stats and a hunger (pun intended!) for solving hard problems, read on.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Conceive of and develop methods to massively scale experimentation across the organization (traffic shaping, interaction effects, early stopping criteria, multi-armed bandit algorithms, etc.)
- Research and develop predictive algorithms which drive metrics/measurement for our tests
- Mine extensive experiment data for unidentified insights about our customers
- Develop one-off experiments for large company initiatives and design the statistical analysis of the results
You Should Have
- Statistics/probability- Strong understanding of statistics (e.g., Bayesian, Frequentist, etc.); extensive experience with running statistical analyses using a variety of methods to drive decisions
- Experiment design - Deep understanding of experiment design: control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling vs stratified, etc.
- SQL/programming experience - You don't need to be a SQL expert (we have plenty) but you do need to be able to do select, where, group, inner join; experience using Python, R, or some other programming language for data analysis
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it. You might even make our achievements board!
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The methods we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business deeply, and to be able to explain your approach and its business sense
- Autonomy - You will have an enormous amount of latitude to research and develop new techniques and algorithms to increase effectiveness of our experimentation systems and reduce risk. You should be able to use it wisely
- 5-7 years of experience using the above skills
- MS in quantitative discipline (statistics, operations research, econometrics, etc) or equivalent experience
Got these? Even Better:
- Risk analysis modeling and projections
- Experience with PyMC, BUGS, STAN, etc.
- Informal understanding of data structures and computational complexity
- You know how to sell an idea to a large group of people. Internal PR is important
- Blog/portfolio/github links
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.