Data Scientist - Optimize
At Groupon, data drives our decisions. Just about every change that we make to Groupon is an A/B experiment. We collect large amounts of data about how our customers interact with our software, giving us the feedback we need to confidently move forward or carefully refine our approach. As an organization we strive to run more experiments faster, which requires statistical rigor and accurate analysis. While our automated A/B testing systems give us a baseline understanding of how features perform, we need creative and curious data scientists who know what it takes to design controlled experiments for a wide range of hypotheses, and who are well versed in statistics.
As a Data Scientist, you will join a team of data scientists and software engineers to guide features across web and mobile platforms by researching novel statistical approaches to experiment analysis, and prototyping them in our context. In addition, you will translate statistical concepts to Product Managers, and others who are not experts in stats, helping them help themselves. Finally, You must relish generating and testing hypotheses against the data, have strong critical opinions about next actions and crisply communicate your findings to your team. You will enjoy being the statistics and analytics expert your team can count on and seeing your work rapidly feed back into the evolution of the product.
The ideal candidate will:
• Show an ability to research varied approaches in math and statistics
• Exhibit curiosity to uncover meaningful insights not specifically directed by others
• Synthesize raw data into recommendations on how the product should evolve
• Quantify the potential value of new product hypotheses
• Design and support large-scale multivariate tests to prove out new ideas
• Work with product management and engineering to develop KPIs for new features and instrumentation to quantify the adoption of new product initiatives
• Perform deep-dive analyses to identify root causes of product or operational issues
• Experience with statistics
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics or similar; graduate degree a plus
• Web/mobile product analytics experience working closely with product and engineering (3+ years a plus)
• Experience with A/B Experimentation is a huge plus
• Proficiency with SQL and at least one scripting language
• Proficiency in R, Python, Matlab or other statistical modeling package
• Ability to structure problems and use quantitative/qualitative skills to deliver simple, logical recommendations
• Experience with data visualization and presentation
• Experience with Hadoop or other Map/Reduce frameworks is a plus
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our employee resource groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.