Data Scientist, Political at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
To democratize data science so organizations can stop guessing and make decisions based on numbers and scientific fact.
What we are looking for
Civis Analytics is looking for a Data Scientist to join its Chicago-based political team. This team will build the next generation of data science for Democratic and progressive organizations. Civis’ objective this year and next is simple: we want every political client organization to be data-driven and digital first. Here’s how you’d help:
First, the Civis platform is the technology of record for hundreds of in-house data scientists and analysts across the progressive movement. We seek to extend the feature set and capabilities to help these users quickly and self-reliantly accomplish their missions through data. Second, Civis is building new digital technologies to help campaigns make the transition to digital outreach. It’s 2019 after all. We’re building the measurement, execution, and attribution tools to help these campaigns measure, target, and spend their dollars effectively and transparently through digital tools.
The political team at Civis group is seeking a Political Data Scientist to join our growing data electoral science team in Chicago. We are a team of Applied Data Scientists, survey scientists, and campaign veterans building new and innovative tools to help support progressive candidates. If you’re looking for a way to have a big impact on the 2020 election, this is it.
As a Political Data Scientist, your day-to-day work will involve building models using polling and electoral data, setting up production-level pipelines to automate workflows in Civis Platform, and helping communicate the results of analyses to our client-facing teams. This role reports to a Senior Data Scientist on the political team.
- Interest in joining a fast-paced political analytics team and working cross-functionally on different data-science projects
- Proficiency with computational statistics, machine learning and statistical modeling (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, STAN)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Resourceful - not easily deterred by setbacks
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- US work authorization required
- Past work experience with political or survey data
- Fluency in python is preferred, especially an understanding of ipython and jupyter notebooks.
- R skills, especially comfort with the tidyverse approach to data munging, are a plus
- Experience working with production-level software pipelines and using tools like python’s joblib module or other parallelization tools and workflow logic like YAML
- Familiarity with SQL, including writing efficient queries and tables and data operations (joins, window functions, etc.)
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Proficiency with Bayesian modeling languages, including STAN (preferred), pymc3, or TensorflowProbability
- Interested in mentoring others on a growing team
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, flexible work from home policy, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- Modern office, conveniently located in the Loop. Close to public transportation, great restaurants and beautiful city views.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW