Data Scientist at Civis Analytics
What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
About the Role
The Data Science Research and Development team is responsible for developing the fundamental data science methods, workflows, and software that power the mission of our company. Our diverse work includes predictive analytics, algorithm development, experimental design, data science software development, maintaining models in production, and user-centric research. On our Chicago-based Research and Development team, you will practice modeling strategy, research design, and software engineering with data scientists on the cutting edge of the field and as part of cross-functional teams with engineers, product managers, designers, and other data scientists.
You will work on collaborative projects through which you will make real contributions to the best practices that back our products and our consulting. We're looking for someone with 2+ years of experience applying state-of-the-art statistical methods and tackling computational and programming challenges in fields such as machine learning, applied statistics, natural language processing and computer vision.
At Civis, our data scientists are are responsible for integrating, scaling, and optimizing our team's data science software tools. They also contribute to our core research goals of developing new methodological approaches to the toughest statistical problems we encounter. We are looking for individuals from a diversity of backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative, software engineering, and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Bachelors degree in statistics, computer science, economics, physics or other quantitative field
- Experience using applied statistics or machine learning
- Proficiency with Python or R
- Experience working with imperfect data
- Passion and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Masters or PhD student in statistics, computer science, economics, physics or other quantitative field
- Internship or work experience in applied statistics or machine learning
- 2+ years of experience
- Experience maintaining data science models or workflows in production, or maintaining data science software (e.g. significant contributions to open source software)
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW