Director of Data Engineering at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About The Opportunity:
Grubhub is looking for a experienced Director of Data Engineering to build and lead all our Data Warehouse and Data Pipeline efforts. You will be heading multiple teams of passionate and skilled database engineers responsible for building and owning batch and streaming data pipelines that process tens of terabytes of data daily and support all of the analytics, business intelligence, data science and reporting data needs across the organization.
Grubhub Big data platforms are cutting edge and built primarily around a few core technologies including AWS EMR, Hive, Cassandra, S3 and Redshift for data storage. Apache Spark, python and Scala for data processing, Presto query engine and Azkaban for workflow management. You will also be interacting with several other technologies in the ecosystem primarily from acquisitions, partners or affiliates including Mysql, Postgress, SQL Server, Salesforce etc.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Understand and manage the data needs of different stakeholders across multiple business verticals including Finance, Marketing, Logistics, Product etc. Develop the vision and map strategy to provide proactive solutions and enable stakeholders to extract insights and value from data.
- Understand end to end data management interactions and dependencies across complex data pipelines and data transformation and how they impact business decisions
- Design best practices for big data processing, data modeling and warehouse development throughout the company. Design best practices for big data processing throughout the company
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded client (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way
- Evaluate new technologies and solutions to solve business problems
You Should Have
- 5+ years in a leadership/management capacity around data engineering, building data warehouse, data mart and data pipelines
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders and managing team through multiple team leads
- Experience with big data architectures and data modeling to efficiently process large volumes of data
- Experience developing large data processing pipelines on Apache Spark.
- Experience with Python or Scala programming languages
- SQL is virtually as effortless as your native spoken language
- Background in ETL and data processing, know how to transform data to meet business goals
- Experience running agile projects
- Excellent communication, adaptability and collaboration skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.