Enterprise Data Architect
Enterprise Data Architects at VillageMD design relational, schemaless, and graph based data models to enhance our organizational capability to make great products. We're in a unique position to impact everyone in primary care from independent, family owned practices to world class health systems. We aggregate, process, and make accessible rich datasets to improve the effectiveness of primary care for our doctors and patients.
We built our technology by standing on the shoulders of giants in the tech space. As such, we've leveraged existing data models in existing projects sponsored by AirBnb, Amazon, and Facebook. We've built our own models based on these projects. We participate in the open source OHDSI ecosystem. As an internal consultant, you would spend time with various product teams building new data models and democratizing data access at our company.
What are examples of work that Enterprise Data Architects have done at VillageMD?
- Researched and synthesized multiple data models to create a universal view of clinical information across many EMRs
- Analyzed stored procedures, stats and queries to figure out data access patterns
- Collaborated with analytics and operations to create data views that enable predictive analytics training sets
What will make you successful here?
- A desire to be accountable for owning problems from design to implementation that solve healthcare interoperability
- An ability to evangelize data models to developers and analysts
- Flexibility to adapt to multiple standards based on the use case and technology
- A bias for action and pragmatic solutions
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust through communication and doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year:
- Contribute to the OHDSI ecosystem with a new data model
- Transform an existing schemaless model into a relational OLTP model
- Lead an implementation of an enterprise wide data ontology initiative
- Implement a graph based model to enhance patient matching
- Refactor a set of queries and views to increase performance and make data access logically approachable
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 5+ years of full-time experience
- Expert level development skills in SQL and at least one other database language (Cassandra, Columnar, OLAP) is required
- Experience in Healthcare industry is required
- Experience managing multi tenant data models
- Experience using schema migration technologies (Alembic, Rails Migrations, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of relational databases and data modelling (MSSQL and Postgres)
- Familiarity with alternative data storage technologies (S3, MongoDb, Redis, Neo4j)
- Experience various data modelling approaches (eg stars schema, Type 2, snapshots, schemaless)
- Experience with the warts of clinical and financial healthcare data will help (a lot)
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field (ideal)
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.